Rod to throw 1/64-1/100 oz. jigs

Pop

I want to use some small jigs for pan fish this year. The lowest designation I can find on any rod is 1/32. Any suggestions on a rod for the smaller jigs. Thanks, Pop

plateboater

7ft with 4lb fireline or 5 ft rod and 2lb test if you really want a challenge......it can be done

Kdog

St Croix PFS69ULF 6'9" UL Fast 1 2 - 6 1/32 - 3/16 2.8 2 $ 120
The lighter line is very important for the tiny jigs. I also use a 5-1/2 ultra light with 2# for some casting of 1/100 oz jigs Hard to get a lot of distance but nice to have when fishing tight spaces. 35 - 40 feet is about the max I can count on unless the wind is right and my timing is perfect and the moon and stars are proper alignment and a nice tail wind I can occasionally get 50 feet.

I know a couple guys that make their own using fly rod blanks I think 3WT and they are around 9 foot long.

JUNGLEJIM1

My favorite rod for throwing light jigs is a custom 7.5 foot spinning rod made from an 8ft 3wt. moderate fast action fly rod blank. This was made in the USA and would have cost under $100 if I wouldn't have added the Microwave guide system and custom marbled finish on the wraps. It will throw a 1/64 better than my two G Loomis ultralights. For any kind of distance I'd use 2lb test and a quality reel.

Pop

Thanks for the quick replies. What is a "Microwave guide system"? Thanks again, Pop

hookup

My recommendation would be a St Croix

If you got the coin, have one built on a 5S70ULM2 blank - Elite, 7', 2-piece, Medium power.

I don't have the coin, so built one on a 3S70ULM2 - same as above except it's an Avid. Works well throwing very lite jigs & poppers with 4# Tectan (diameter of 2# mono).

Difference between the two blanks is the modulus of the graphite - the Elite will feel a fish phart on your bait, while the Avid's good enough to feel a fish suck in your bait.

Or as suggested, you can get fly rod blank built into a spinning rod.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the microwave guide system and prefer the Fuji Silicone Carbonite Concept spinning guides

JUNGLEJIM1

I heard good things about the Microwave guide system and had to try it. After two years of fishing with this rod I haven't noticed any difference between it and the regular spinning guides. Still get tangles, best way to counter this is close bails by hand after casting. I'm with hookup, Tectan line is killer for casting little baits but it's getting harder to find in the smaller sizes. Where are you getting yours from hookup?? Definitely think you increase your distance with a longer rod.

hookup

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
Where are you getting yours from hookup?

When Cabelas stopped carrying it, I went to their German website & bought enough to last me a lifetime.

LedHed

Sponsor
Kencor was a manufacturer out here that use to make a sweet UL rod for throwing small stuff. You can still find them but they are not cheap. Another oldie is Kunann - sweet if you can find them. Another old favorite - Shakespeare Liberty rod.

Check out Shakespeare's micro series. I got a 7' and a 7.5' two piece to play with. They are rated for 2-6 but should be 1-4. Big guides and best of all - super cheap!

For me - converted fly rods are great for casting & bobbers (floats) but they don't transfer the action I am looking for in my micro lite jigs.

Got a few Japanese rods and some from Europe that are really nice but shipping can be a real pain and expensive....

After watching JJ struggle with the micro guides - you can have them. Any line twist or wind - you will have problems. I vote for hi foot.

hookup

Not a fan of micro guides because I need a magnifing glass to thread them. I built one rod with them and if I had my way, never again.

jiggerjohn

For Stream work last season I had an old ,golden, light action Wright & McGill spinning rod,old time steel guides(light wire), and too long of a nice cork handle. Sawed most of the handle off-just enough to fit my hand width now, and at a little more than 6' length, puts a 1/75 th oz jig well out there (with a bit of a "power snap"-the short handle aids in this combined arm&wrist thrust of a parabolic ,wimpy action rod-not exactly poetry in motion,but effective!). Wright & MCGill (Eagle Claw) has a modern spinning 6'er that is about as good and with the same very light action-I think it is called a "Micro lite" in 6' length.

redear

Junglejim and ledhead pointed out my thoughts, just my opinion caused by experience, you need 2lb. test line and the rods that will throw those tiny jigs well are rare and if you find one then buy several because they will for sure quit making it about the time you decide you need another one. like led said the shakespeare micro series in 7 foot would be a good place to start and they are cheap, I'm talkin about the newer model that is gray in color, I haven't fished them yet but bought 3 seven footers and 1 7 1/2 footer, the 7 footer is more limber, these rods cost me around 15 bucks each, I only have one other rod lite enough to throw 1/64 and it is a diawa about 6 foot and you guessed it, they don't make it anymore, it is a shimmery brown color can't remember the namodel name.

NorCoMike

Im also looking for a rod that will throw the small stuff. Waiting on a new blank to get here. It is an MHX blank in the panfish collection. Its weight range says it will throw 1/64th and has a moderate fast action. We will see how it turns out.

hookup

MHX blanks are sweet. Everyone I know that's built on the blank say they get tremendous value for their $$'s.

Pup

LedHed said:
Kencor was a manufacturer out here that use to make a sweet UL rod for throwing small stuff. You can still find them but they are not cheap. Another oldie is Kunann - sweet if you can find them. Another old favorite - Shakespeare Liberty rod.

Keep an eye open on Joe's Old Lures. I see Kunnan and Kencor there occasionally.

I own a 7' Lew's Speed Stick Spinning Rod that's low-end rated for 1/16-ounce lures. It's stiff enough to pry a hub cap off of an automobile wheel. How in the **** they ever came up with this rating defies any logic I can muster... :p

hookup

Pup said:
How in the **** they ever came up with this rating defies any logic I can muster... :p

Sadly, there's no industry standard to rate rods power & action, just like there's no standard for line breaking strength vs diameter.

I typically buy mono by diameter & not by breaking strength.

One of the reasons I liked Tectan so much, they tested their breaking strength on an instrom ... dang Germans are so efficient lol

Pup

Just remembered last night, I own a 'trout action' rod that I bought recently and did not care for using while crappie fishing. However, it may be just the ticket for casting 1/32-ounce lures and lighter. Mine is 1 piece and 6' long. It's a good looking rod and has very good guides on it for what I paid for it. It doesn't appear to be made anymore, but there is a 2-piece version that's available. Here's the link to it.

I can tell you that it's made by a California company (American Premier/American Spirit Series) and it feels whippy. I think that the rod will store energy well enough on the back cast (load) and transfer it to cast the really small 1/64-ounce jigs with appropriate line.

The 1/100-ounce jigs, who knows?

Back