Rod Question

Moselbarsch

Dear friends,

I need your help...:
I am planning to buy a new spinning rod, for hair jigs only to catch pan fish, perches (and so on) on lakes and slow rivers.

The problem is that I need a very light rod for really small and light jigs (Hook size 10 or 12 up to maybe 4 with a weight between 1/32 oz and 1/8 oz, maybe a little more).

Since I would like to fish on the shoreline and not in a boat, I think I prefer now a longer rod (8'). My other rods are shorter...

I don't like a stiff rod with fast tip, I like an more progressive blank (a little like a fly rod).

It is really hard to find a matching rod on the European market because the most rods are fast or extra fast with to soft tips. Further more, I like the look of the old school rods.

Now I have found two rods made by St. Croix in the USA:

Avid Series Spinning Rod AVS80MLM2
http://stcroixrods.com/products/freshwater/avid-series-spinning/

Panfish Series Spinning Rod PFS80LMF2
http://stcroixrods.com/products/freshwater/panfish-series/

Has anyone experiences with this rods? Which one would more match for me?

Thanks to all,

Mike

Jig Man

I love my Stcroix's. And even though its a medium light, the Avid will be more sensitive than the Pan fish because of the blank. And it has better guids and warranty. But either one of them is good. IMO

Moselbarsch

Jig Man said:
I love my Stcroix's. And even though its a medium light, the Avid will be more sensitive than the Pan fish because of the blank. And it has better guids and warranty. But either one of them is good. IMO

Many thanks Jig Man!

So I think I would prefer the Avid...

Do you think that the Avid AVS80MLM2 (8' and 1/16 - 5/16 Lue Wt.) is a good choice for those light jigs?

Jig Man

Yes sir, go light on your line and you will be able to cast fine and have great sensitivity... I like the Berkley Nano on spinning reels. And if you need to use a leader for clear water. I like fluorocarbon.

Kdog

St Croix are excellent rods although IMO a bit overpriced. Their SCiv blanks are excellent. I broke down and bought a LXS70LF2 which is IMO the most sensitive rod I've ever used. I use it a lot with 1/32 - 3/32 oz jigs, some tied, some tipped with a crawler or minnow and I still think I can feel a fresh crawler wiggling on the hook and definately feel a good live minnow.

If I were you, I would consider a MYO rod and some of the blanks being offered these days are outstanding. A friend has a rod he built using a MHX S871-2-MHX that He feels is better than his St Croix although I am not sure it is better than my legend . I do know that his finished rod was well under $100 and last time we chatted, he was building a new rod using a Quickline QLP841 blank that he thinks is better than any St Croix he ever used including my legend.

My advice is to go to a couple fishing tackle shows and take a couple of your jigs and some FC liine and test as many rods as you can get your hands on. I use a big quick snap attached to 6feet of line and a 1/32 ounce jig head on the other end of the line. Attach it to the tip of the rod and jig a few times, see if you can feel your jig.

davidriley

Mike

I have been using a Savage Gear Light Fishing Range lure rod,198cm (6'6') casting range 0 - 0.5g , which I find casts small size 10 jig flies ( incorporating a 4 mm slotted tungsten bead, weight 460mg) perfectly. I fish it with Nanofil 4lb (1.8kg) line. However I do intend, if necessary, to fish lighter, certainly with size 12 jig hooks.
I regularly throw jig heads of 1g (1/32oz) and 2g (1/16oz) but occasionally go to 3.25g (1/8oz) with hooks sizes, usually 6-4 but do go up to size 1.incidentally all my fishing is from the bank and I find a 198cm perfect. In the past I have used rods up to 11' but over the years they have got shorter. For me 6'6" (198cm) or 7' (210cms) is perfect, with that length you can flick lures easily and use the rod without any fatigue.

I realise that you want a longer rod but have a look at the Savage Gear Light Fishing Range lure rods. As I am sure you are aware, Savage Gear rods are readily available in Europe and they have a wide selection. http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/2aa1b369#/2aa1b369/14

The action of the SG Light Range Rod I have, is described by Savage Gear as 'medium' . It is certainly not a fast rod. To me it is very forgiving which is what I like in a rod for my target species - perch

I have been very impressed with my Savage Gear rod. It has certainly put the fun back into fishing for me. Although it is ideal for small fish it has 'backbone' too for larger ones that may come along . I have had pike up to about 4lb on it. My best perch to date with the rod is 1.5lb and a few days ago fishing the local canal with a 2g White Straggle bug tied on a size 4 jig head, using 8lb Nanofil I caught a bream about 5+ lb. (see photo)

However I can't fault your wish to have a St Croix lure rod. They are certainly a classy product.

David

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 89

hookup

I am a St Croix 'ho

Have not build with that blank - but just finished a 6'6" ML Avid and luv it for smallies. Tested it yesterday the first time & it had no problems casting jigs w/ soft plastic down or hair down to 1/16th oz.

I've builts a couple rods on a 7' 2 piece UL rod & the blank you posted will work for your light applications. the ML should work nicely and the extra length will help get those light jigs out. The ML will give you sufficient back bone to land the fish you've been posting.

But if you're chasing dinks (small fish) the pan fish rod would be the best imho.

Bottom line, guess you know have to buy both LoL

edit. The Avid has more backbone and would be a bit stiffer than the panfish. I would even consider going down to a light for the avid. Basically the higher modulus graphite blanks will be faster action and stiffer along with more backbone. I routinely fish an old Elite (SCV) for small mouth and luv it. But it's as stiff as a 19 year old behind the bleachers.

hookup

Just to give you an idea of how much back bone an Avid has, I landed this striper on a 6' UL SCIII, 4# mono, 500 series reel

20148Striper_zpsba70ef07.jpg

rich mc

if you like a longer rod cubby tackle that makes the mini mites had a rod made for throwing those specifically. was popular with lakefront perch anglers. rich mc

Moselbarsch

Many many thanks to all for your help!

I have bought some very stiff and short spinning rods with a extra fast tip in the past. For me, it is the right way to fish with softbaits on jigheads. But since I have started to fish with hair jigs I get more and more the feeling that this rods are to stiff for that kind of lures. So I have bought a 6' Greys G-Lite Spin (an very light, soft but progressive rod) recently and think that this kind of rod is more matching for hair jigs (?).

The problem is, that I can cast 1/16 oz or more with the G-Lite...but I would like to cast 1/32 as well.
So I thought that a longer rod would solve the problem (I am afraid that a ultra light and short rod is only for really small fishes - not for a big chub or perch)!

Am I wrong?

The only UL-rod with a medium action I could buy in Germany would be the Daiwa INFINITY Q ULTRA LIGHT SPIN (the European guys like stiff and fast blanks)...so I have to order a rod - without testing and money-back options.

hookup

Barschjäger said:
So I thought that a longer rod would solve the problem (I am afraid that a ultra light and short rod is only for really small fishes - not for a big chub or perch)!

Am I wrong?

The pix I just posted shows that a UL can be used for larger fish that are known for their fight.

But it's what you want that matters? If I was going to be buying a rod for targeting the striper in my pix, it wouldn't be a UL. But the Avid has the backbone to handle it. Wouldn't want that fish on a UL from an off the rack Shimano but that's just me.

I agree you want a slower action rod for the weight of jigs you want to throw.

Problem is that there are no standards for power and action that the rod companies to manufacture follows. You have to look around and see.

For a 1/32 oz jig I'd be looking at something a bit more parabolic than a rod with an extra fast action.

Here's a decent write up of power vs action in fishing rod blanks

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/guides/rodselection.html

Bottom line, let us know what you decide and how you like it after fishing a few times.

Moselbarsch

Thanks again for your help...

I have thought about your arguments and now I tending to the St. Croix Avid AVS70ULM2...(7' / UL / Mod. / 1/32 - 3/16 oz.)...

davidriley

Barschjäger said:

I have bought some very stiff and short spinning rods with a extra fast tip in the past. For me, it is the right way to fish with softbaits on jigheads. But since I have started to fish with hair jigs I get more and more the feeling that this rods are to stiff for that kind of lures. So I have bought a 6' Greys G-Lite Spin (an very light, soft but progressive rod) recently and think that this kind of rod is more matching for hair jigs (?).

The problem is, that I can cast 1/16 oz or more with the G-Lite...but I would like to cast 1/32 as well.

Am I wrong?

The only UL-rod with a medium action I could buy in Germany would be the Daiwa INFINITY Q ULTRA LIGHT SPIN (the European guys like stiff and fast blanks)...so I have to order a rod - without testing and money-back options.

Mike

For several years I owned and used both the Greys G-Lite 6'6"" (rated 5-20g) and the model you have, the G-Lite 6' , which is rated to cast 3 - 10gams. Although Greys never put the casting weight information on any of their promotional material, the rates I have quoted are correct as I contacted Greys some years ago and asked them for the details. However the weights quoted are only advisory and I think you will find if you use a low diameter line, something like the Berkey Nanofil in 4lb strength, you will be able to throw a 1/32oz lure a respectable distance. I reckon with Nanofil, which wasn't available when I owned my 6' G-Lite, you will be able to throw even lighter jigs.

The G-Lite is an ideal rod for perch and is very forgiving. You will be surprised how much pressure you can put on a large fish should you connect with a pike, whilst targeting perch. Yes the rod will bend but it will take all you can give it. I have landed perch to 4lb and pike to about 7-8lb on the 6' G-Lite I had.

David

Moselbarsch

davidriley said:
Barschjäger said:

Am I wrong?

Mike

For several years I owned and used both the Greys G-Lite 6'6"" (rated 5-20g) and the model you have, the G-Lite 6' , which is rated to cast 3 - 10gams. Although Greys never put the casting weight information on any of their promotional material, the rates I have quoted are correct as I contacted Greys some years ago and asked them for the details. However the weights quoted are only advisory and I think you will find if you use a low diameter line, something like the Berkey Nanofil in 4lb strength, you will be able to throw a 1/32oz lure a respectable distance. I reckon with Nanofil, which wasn't available when I owned my 6' G-Lite, you will be able to throw even lighter jigs.

The G-Lite is an ideal rod for perch and is very forgiving. You will be surprised how much pressure you can put on a large fish should you connect with a pike, whilst targeting perch. Yes the rod will bend but it will take all you can give it. I have landed perch to 4lb and pike to about 7-8lb on the 6' G-Lite I had.

David

Hi David,

Many thanks for your comment!

Yes, I'm very satisfied with the G-Lite, so I have bought today the other two modells from this series. Now I have the 5'6" 2-5lb, 6' 4-8lb and 6'6" 8-12lb (the owner of the tackle store is a good friend of mine and so I have got this two last pieces for a very good price)...

The 6'6" is much stronger than the 6' but the 5'6 is somewhere between...

You are right, it is possible to throw 1/32 lures with the 6' G-Lite but it is not so easy for me since I don't use any braided line. I use the Clymax Synergy with 0,18 mm diameter, this is a FC-coated monofilament. I think this is more matching for the hair jigs...
Before that, I used the Climax Mig with 0,06 mm diameter (much better than the Nanofil I have used before - I found the Nanofil to stiff).

davidriley

Barschjäger said:
davidriley said:
Barschjäger said:

Am I wrong?

Mike

David

Hi David,

Many thanks for your comment!

Yes, I'm very satisfied with the G-Lite, so I have bought today the other two modells from this series. Now I have the 5'6" 2-5lb, 6' 4-8lb and 6'6" 8-12lb (the owner of the tackle store is a good friend of mine and so I have got this two last pieces for a very good price)...

The 6'6" is much stronger than the 6' but the 5'6 is somewhere between...

You are right, it is possible to throw 1/32 lures with the 6' G-Lite but it is not so easy for me since I don't use any braided line. I use the Clymax Synergy with 0,18 mm diameter, this is a FC-coated monofilament. I think this is more matching for the hair jigs...
Before that, I used the Climax Mig with 0,06 mm diameter (much better than the Nanofil I have used before - I found the Nanofil to stiff).

Incidentally the G-Lite 5'6" is rated for 3 - 10g weight of lure.
Yes Nanofil is relatively stiff but before that I used Berkley Fireline for over 10 years and that really is stiff.
I don't know the Climax Mig with 0.06mm diameter but that sounds interesting especially as a softer line may be better when I am fishing with very small jig flies (size 10 weight 0.04g)

In my opinion the G-Lite series of lure rods is one of the best range of rods Greys produced.

Tight lines and many perch.

David

Moselbarsch

David,

it's great to hear that you have experiences with the G-Lite series, because I'm searching a similar rod (meaning: Same action, maybe a little less power and just a little bit longer for better casting the light jigs)...
You know?
If you have experiences with the St. Croix Avid AVS70ULM2 as well, you could let me know whether this rod would match (?)...this would be great.

davidriley

Barschjäger said:
David,

it's great to hear that you have experiences with the G-Lite series, because I'm searching a similar rod (meaning: Same action, maybe a little less power and just a little bit longer for better casting the light jigs)...
You know?
If you have experiences with the St. Croix Avid AVS70ULM2 as well, you could let me know whether this rod would match (?)...this would be great.

Mike

Apart from the 6'6" Savage Gear Light Fishing Range 0 - 0.5g rod I have already referred to earlier in this thread, I also fish with a Sonik SK4 7' (3 - 10g) which I bought after selling my G-Lite's a few years ago. It is probably my favourite rod. I think it is ideal for perch fishing, although I have landed pike up to 16lb on it. For me it has a lovely action. Incidentally The person who was involved in the design of the Sonk KK4 previously worked for Greys ( now Hardy Greys) and was very involved with the design of the G-Lite lure rod.
About 18 months ago Sonik Sports updated the SK4. More info -
https://www.soniksports.com/lure/

However, quite a few lure anglers in the UK favour the Spro lure rods
http://www.spro.eu/en_gb/company-info.aspx

Spro (Japanese ) are nice rods and very reasonably priced. They also produce longer light lure rods which may interest you.
Have a look at this UK tackle dealer's website ( Art of Fishing owned by Ben Field) - http://www.artoffishing.co.uk/spro - as he sells Spro rods and gives a very good HONEST description of the rods he sells. Ben Field is very approachable and should you be interested in any of the Spro rods I am sure he will answer your enquiries by telephone or email . I think you should be able to find a supplier in Grmany where you could look at the Soro rods ( failing that, if you are close to the Netherlands border you should be able to see one in the Neherlands)

However if you have your heart set on a St Croix, especially after the favourable comments by our American Forum members, and can afford one then, from what I have heard from fellow UK lure anglers, you will not be disappointed

Hope that helps.

David

bombora

Hi Barschjager, have you seen the Daiwa Presso ultralights?
Here's a link:
http://daiwa.com/rod/detail.aspx?id=650

They look great: 2-6 pound line, 1/32 to 1/4 casting weight and they do a 7ft6" and an 8 foot version.

A longer rod is far superior when shore fishing. Longer casts, better line control and manipulation of the lure, and easier to overcome shoreline obstructions. I reckon the 8 footer might be nice for your situation.

Back