RoadRunners

hhawkins

For the last 3 weeks, I've been hard at with jig orders, BIG orders to boot. A lot of them has been just poured and painted heads and silicone skirted bass jigs, but this last one is the first RoadRunners of the year....

View attachment 9

View attachment 1
View attachment 2
View attachment 3
View attachment 4

I had borrowed a buddy's split ring pliers because I hate the crappy ones that I have. I'll get the one I want eventually. Oh, and I did the water trick on the crane swivel to keep the paint from getting down in it, worked like a charm! Thanks guys!

Attachments

• roadrunners 001.JPG
    roadrunners 001.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 248
  • roadrunners 002.JPG
    roadrunners 002.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 249
  • roadrunners 003.JPG
    roadrunners 003.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 247
  • roadrunners 004.JPG
    roadrunners 004.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 246
  • roadrunners 005.JPG
    roadrunners 005.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 247
  • roadrunners 006.JPG
    roadrunners 006.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 245

fishindad

I like the white ones a lot! Nice job. How do you stop the swivel from getting painted with powder paint?

hhawkins

fishindad said:
I like the white ones a lot! Nice job. How do you stop the swivel from getting painted with powder paint?

That was my question too! Made me so mad, because I had to watch it when breaking the paint from the swivel, that I wasn't going to break the swivel itself. I had asked several of the guys here on JC for help on a technique. The wrapping the swivel with light foil didn't work for me. Then someone mentioned dipping your swivel in water, but be careful not to get water in your paint. So, I dampened ( heavy damp) a paper towel. IT WORKED! I'm sooooo happy!

Kdog

hhawkins said:
fishindad said:

That was my question too! Made me so mad, because I had to watch it when breaking the paint from the swivel, that I wasn't going to break the swivel itself. I had asked several of the guys here on JC for help on a technique. The wrapping the swivel with light foil didn't work for me. Then someone mentioned dipping your swivel in water, but be careful not to get water in your paint. So, I dampened ( heavy damp) a paper towel. IT WORKED! I'm sooooo happy!

I started the water thing and originally just used an ice cube for fear of getting things wet. The ice cube works, just messy. the jar lid where I out my ice cube was almost full of water and I tried dipping and low and behold it worked.

Kdog

First, I would not call them roadrunners, pony head is what the mold is called and I leave it at that. Many places provide the blades and making your own, you can upsize, downsize the blades, use nickle, brass or even pc blades, willow leaf. Colorado Blades, Indiana Blades and Willow Leaf are most common.

A good place to start for blade selection is jans, http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/spinner-blades/

LedHed

Sponsor
The trademark thing

Talk about "beating a dead horse"........ LOL

Posted that on another site and almost sent somebody into cardiac arrest! Got a scathing PM about what I get and don' get about the site. Too funny.

I think you are able to sell the trade marked stuff if you buy the plain jigs from RR. Custom pours using Do-it, hilts, or Ament molds are way better. Custom pourers usually use better hooks, blades, paint, and tyes.

Kdog

LedHed said:
The trademark thing

Talk about "beating a dead horse"........ LOL

Posted that on another site and almost sent somebody into cardiac arrest! Got a scathing PM about what I get and don' get about the site. Too funny.

I think you are able to sell the trade marked stuff if you buy the plain jigs from RR. Custom pours using Do-it, hilts, or Ament molds are way better. Custom pourers usually use better hooks, blades, paint, and tyes.

Yes, I too have been admonished regarding my views on free enterprise and have also learned that unless you got mucho bucks, your ideas can be stolen and someone else lays claim to them. So I say go for it and make them spend money on cease and desist orders. It amazes me that you never hear anything about the lil george tail spin or get into various hard body baits my favorite being the venerable jitterbug, You can buy all the components and make most of them maybe make them better and maybe not. But I remember by father buying lures and before he used them traded the treble hooks for mustad or eagle claw. He caught a lot of fish and it was very rare to ever see him miss a fish. He always said if they hit it, I eat em.

I make custom jigs per customer request, they are not marketed and not sold in retail establishments. I dont take M/C and dont take checks. A six pack is acceptable as is a fishing trip. Its a hobby and not a business.

moswampy

LedHed said:
The trademark thing

bothers me enough not to even mess with buying them and using their blades to sell a custom painted and tied. A person could probably make enough scratch to buy a new rod or three yearly off of ponies if they wanted to take the risk.

As for blades and the rest to dress up those fine jigs in this thread I have found chuck and debs to be a good source.

Fatman

Made a lot of great trades for them!!!! chenille, lead and Shimano spools!! Get a lot of stuff from Hagens for making them but Crazy Angler gave me a great deal on crane swivels and split rings this time.

I like Hagens for mixing types of blades and while it may cost a little more on some of the blades overall getting everything from one place saves on shipping.

Back