Reviving an old hobby in NC

OptiMystic

That would be tying; I never stopped fishing. I lived in CO and did a lot of fly fishing many years ago and tied a lot of my own flies. I switched over to almost exclusively spin fishing when I moved here. I still fly fish every now and then but not enough to go through very many flies. I have always enjoyed catching panfish and now I am targeting them more blatantly (I used to mostly bass fish but downsize when it was slow). Mostly lakes and rivers in the Piedmont and coastal plain of NC, with an occasional day or few at the coast. I fish out of a kayak primarily.

Anyway, I stumbled into the world of the tiny jig when I went poking around for info on catching more and larger panfish. I am setting a goal of getting a master angler patch from the state:
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Fishing/FishingRecords/NCAnglerRecognitionProgramNCARP.aspx
Which means certificate size fish of 6 different species. If you browse the list, there are about a dozen different panfish on it.

plateboater

Sounds like a good challenge....Welcome from Central IL. Great place to get a lot of info.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome from NW Ohio! There are quite a few fly patterns that can easily be converted on to little jig heads.

Good luck on your quest.... we have a similar program here in Ohio where you are awarded pins. Need to catch 4 qualifying size species to get the master angler.

OptiMystic

I tied a lot of nymphs, mostly GRHE, when I lived out west. When I first moved here I caught a lot of panfish on them. I will tie a few nymphs and emergers with a little weight to them. But I know it's hard to beat good old marabou streamers and a substantial amount of my tying will probably be the common patterns with colors I prefer.

Radtexan

I started my tying adventure with nymphs also. Back in the day when in New Mexico all we fished were size 18-22's. Sure glad I get to tie 1/8 crappie jigs now. Not sure I could even thread a 22 any more ;)

AllenOK

Greetings from OK! I'm another kayaker, as well. I fish for just about anything, although sunnies are everywhere and easily caught.

OptiMystic

AllenOK said:
Greetings from OK! I'm another kayaker, as well. I fish for just about anything, although sunnies are everywhere and easily caught.
I still fish for other things as well, but I definitely enjoy actively catching fish more than chasing elusive ones. But I am not taking quantity over quality; I am concentrating on quality within quantity. :D

LedHed

Sponsor
Hola and welcome from SoCal OM.
You are miles ahead considering your tying background. Check out the galleries and tutorials for some proven panfish jig ideas. Hope you can throw some into the mix...

Richmond pond might be something you would be interested in out there in NC. Very pricey!!!!

OptiMystic

LedHed said:
Hola and welcome from SoCal OM.
You are miles ahead considering your tying background. Check out the galleries and tutorials for some proven panfish jig ideas. Hope you can throw some into the mix...

Richmond pond might be something you would be interested in out there in NC. Very pricey!!!!
I did look at the galleries. Nice stuff! When tying for fly fishing, I tied a lot of the same patterns over and over and the ones that worked are actually kinda boring. And to be honest, I probably have as many bad habits as good. I care more about effectiveness than looks, for example.

Yeah, I know about Richmond Mill. I can catch certificate size bluegill in my neighborhood pond pretty much anytime (C&R partly because our HOA dues stock it and partly because of fertilizer runoff), but I won't apply for a certificate for a fish from private water. They have some monsters in Richmond Mill, though. I would enjoy fishing it.

LedHed

Sponsor
I use to tye a lot of fly patterns on jigs when I started. Slowly evolved into creating my own patterns.

We get some nice size panfish out here also - all reservoirs (we call them lakes). No pay for play ponds.

OptiMystic

StumpHunter - I am planning to do a little fishing down your way next month, though barely remaining in SC. My son is in school in Savannah and I am doing a quick visit; just taking him, maybe a friend or two and a nephew that is currently living there out to dinner and dropping off a care package. Kind of a long drive just for dinner, so a couple of buddies and I are planning to stay in Hardeeville, SC and fish the river in kayaks both days. If you ever fish down that way and have advice, drop me a line (or share it here if it isn't a secret).

OptiMystic

LedHed - No pay ponds? I generally fish in public water myself but we have numerous little pay ponds. Few claim to be trophy water like Richmond Mill; mostly they are landowners possibly making a little money but mostly just trying to recoup what it costs to properly manage a pond and get enough fish harvested to keep it balanced. A lot of people don't realize that within a couple of years most ponds will need more fish harvested than is practical if just the landowner and family fish it. Panfish are particularly prone to stunting without the predators that a pond can't really support.

dbeam

Hello Opti,
I just noticed that you were a member here. Can you put the vise on a low table and do any tying with the healing shoulder.

Darrell

hookup

Welcome to this lit'l corner of the bait shack.

I'm like you, the only time I pay to fish is gas, airfare, and/or a license.

If you are ever up north a state, gimme a shout. I'm in No VA & am a river rogue small mouth bass nutcase.

OptiMystic

dbeam said:
Hello Opti,
I just noticed that you were a member here. Can you put the vise on a low table and do any tying with the healing shoulder.

Darrell
I have been thinking about trying that. High would actually be better so I can rest my elbow and keep weight off shoulder. I have decent range of motion back but have to be careful not to make the muscles do much. I really hoped I would be further along by now. Over 8 weeks since surgery and I can drink a regular cup of coffee right handed now if it is in a paper cup. That's about the limit.

dbeam

Coffee is something, but I know your about to go stir crazy with it. Hopefully the care you are taking now will pay off in the future.

Darrell

Back