Red's wool jigs

lizardpuller

Ive seen on here to tie in 10 or 12 silk threads. On this jig from Red himself, ive counted roughly 100 different pcs, which means he used 50 threads. Right? Just wondering what Im missing here.

plateboater

Agree with FM. Just play around. You need three patches. One down center and one on each side

jiggerjohn

I just talked to ole Red the other day, as he was in the middle of his 100+ ties per day, to have 4000 jigs ready for the annual Girard,Ohio show in early March. Red LIKES to tie em somewhat sparsely, but often gets carried away in acquiring interesting color schemes ! Sometimes the jigs get thicker & more fluffy, but they all WORK ! As he emphasized to me over the phone, the biggest factor where some guys go wrong in tying is NOT using WOOL as the base, hook shank material !!

plateboater

Agree. As I talked with him about two years ago. Wool is trick. They hammer fish. I now have sheep close and owner says he will give me a Wal-Mart bag full no worries. That should last!!!!!. I even noticed on reds jig he light spray paints head and paint sticks for eyes. Down and dirty because he does not worry about breaking them off.

Back