Reclaimed Lead Shot??

cadman

Can anyone tell me what this means, or what this is. Is this pure soft lead or a mix of lead alloys. Is it really hard and can it be used for pouring jigs. Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

CrappieHappy

Cadman, reclaimed is typically clean-outs from gun ranges, clubs etc. you will need to see what process they use to clean the lead, and it they add a coating etc....

papaperch

Pure lead would make very poor BB's for shotgun . Its softness would cause too much distortion in the pattern of the shotgun as it is subjected to terrific pressures when fired. So it is usable for us fishermen but remember its going to be a little on the hard side of the scale. Normally antimony is added to increase the hardness of the lead when being manufactured for use in shot for shotshells.

If you can get it at an extremely reasonable price give it a try.

Hint : I used to work at a coal fired generating station. The turbines had a lead seal that was designed to melt at a temperature that fell into certain safety parameters. These seals are 100% lead and are about 1/8 thick. These seals are replaced on a maintenance schedule dictated by government regulations for boiler operation. The old stuff being replaced had to be disposed of and our company had to PAY to get rid of it. Hence they did not mind giving it away. Where I worked there were few muzzle loader guys and few fishermen. First time I asked about it I was given a normal person lifetime supply. They even helped me load it. I think I got about 3 loads in the 18 years I worked there. So if you live near a generating plant..............

Fatman

Cad

Having talked to the guys over at Cast Boolits, Happy is right it's a mix of whatever they pull out of their backstop. Two of the guys say they try and sort but most don't so it's a big tossup. For bigger jigs, I think it'd be okay, but it's gonna be a harder lead.

Back