Reapers

Pup

Designed after the Mar-Lynn soft plastic bait from years ago, only these are made of ice chenille and leather.  Silver glitter is applied to the tail using Tulip Puffy Paint.  The tail's 'rays' are formed by cutting the  leather at 45-60 degree angles in hopes of segmenting the the tail for better flexibility and movement when wet.

S5300004_zpslorvcky5.jpg

Other versions will be created, provided that they fish fairly well.  I look forward to fishing them in the local river while trying my luck for smallmouth and spotted bass.
[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]

bucktail

Nice tye,I'm wondering if a small stinger hook put thought the tip of tail would hurt the action?or maybe give it just enough weight to make it bounce more

Hawnjigs

KISS
I really liked Reapers, particularly a fish powder scented version offered by Venom Lures long ago. The sparkle coating seems more attractive than flat leather.

JiggerJohn & I have been bumping around the idea of the attraction of fluorescent salmon red beads, maybe one on the hook bend might mitigate short strikes? I recently noticed that when the tail end bead of my Gulp! holder collar loosened and ended up on the bend it seemed to accentuate the twitch darting action of the jig. Just a preliminary observation that bears further testing.

Are the jig heads poured with tin?

Pup

Thank you for your comments Buck and Hawn.  :) I do think that they could be effective if I can get sufficient action from the tails.

Hawn,

I think that those are simply chrome-painted lead heads. They were received with some tackle that I inherited a while back. Speaking of Venom Lures...have been a fan of their products for a while, though never tried any of their reapers.

hookup

I think that those are simply chrome-painted lead heads.

Thx - I was going to ask if you painted those

The jig looks like it'll imitate the action of a venerable grub - I'm sure your reaper will catch multiple species

I recently noticed that when the tail end bead of my Gulp! holder collar loosened and ended up on the bend it seemed to accentuate the twitch darting action of the jig.

I've actually had allot of experience with this - sort of. Normally I fish a grub with a collared jig and if the grub is used enough that the collar no longer holds them, they slide down the shaft of the hook. The darting is accentuated when this happens, but with my experience, if they are hitting grubs, it doesn't matter tot he fish iif the grub is on the collar or the grub has slide down to the shaft. I think the fish are attacking the movement of the jig and whatever vibrations that movement imparts to the fish's sensors.

Keep in mind, most of my jig experience is with river small mouth bass

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
The exaggerated tail on those should really allow some great movement in the water. Outstanding looking bait. Not sure how big those actually are, but that bright color might work well swimming past crappies too.

I never used a lot of traditional tube baits but Venom Super-Do's...... have to be one of my favorite river smallie baits. Love those solid body tubes.

Pup

hookup said:
The jig looks like it'll imitate the action of a venerable grub -  I'm sure your reaper will catch multiple species

Maybe a little akin to a Mann's Stingray Grub?

Attica,

Those are 1/16-ounce ball heads with #4 hooks.  The baits measure about 3.25" in length.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments.  :)  :icon14:

Back