really brown trout

Bucho

Searun browns are usually silvery as salmon, very mobile and aggressive. Some of them however are just as solitary, brown and territorial as their fresh water cousins. Living/surviving in a hard pressed urban environment has had them learn every lure in the book. I notice that one`s around when I keep getting follow-ups and nibbles on spoons no matter what trick I pull to hook them. Then its time for some jigging. A large sandeel pattern usually does the trick. The upper one is such a case, around 20", the other one is one of the regular silvery smaller trout we have in the fjord over winter and spring. It had me fooled around half a dozen times over the last 14 days, always on the same spot. 

28764652me.jpg

28764654kt.jpg

Bucho

Thanks! Inline Jigs vor browns go way back over here, its practically the only kind of hair jig that carries a tradition in Germany and Austria . I guess I´m the first to cross them over with sandeel flatwing pattern to use them in the salt. Here´s a little bit about them.
http://www.jigcraft.com/jigcraft/showthread.php?tid=9424&highlight=slip+jig+sandeel
The one in the pic is tied on a a modified tin ultra minnow head but regular do-it slip jigs work just fine. Smaller, simple deer hair or bucktail pattern do the trick as well.

Ahh, by the way, there is another board member named "Bucko" with a K with whom I´ve already been mixed up with.

bucktail

Ahhh sorry Bucho,I'm so new around here I don't think I mixed you both up..haha
was wondering how those fish heads settled in the water,seems like the pice is high on them in my local materials shop
they do look good tho
good luck on the water

Hawnjigs

KISS
Could your salty browns be a different species? Altho I've not seen either in the flesh, your version more closely resembles the USA seatrout (Cynoscion nebulosus) than the German browns (Salmo trutta) I've caught in inland habitats.

Those double stingers look brutally efficient.

Bucho

100% certain about the Salmo Trutta issue. The hook loop is bloody effective indeed. 2 Octopus hooks knitted against each other on a flexible cord and looped into a solid ring - I´ve had unreal serials of hook-ups with them, with minimal damage to the fish.

Yesterday I went to the open shore with 2 friends in floater tubes while I was wading. After I contacted a medium sized fish far on the edge of my maximal range with a 16gr flutter jig, about 80 yards, I called the others in on them. I could spot a large fish chasing bait, while my friend got a follow-up on his crank bait. He then followed my advice to use a sandeel jig and hookd a massive 26" fish. Its stomach contend was 2 cod and a whiting of 6" each.    
28799184bl.jpg

28799183hk.jpg

He stuck with the lure to catch another legal sized one for the table, an even larger after-spawn fish and a small mouthed flounder which is more than unusual for this kind of fishing.  
28799185qr.jpg

28799186ml.jpg

Bucho

I hear a lot of whining from left and right over here about the fish being so picky with the sunshine and the calm weather - not the case with me, these jigs are slaughtering them! Today I tested an extra light version -2gr, still heavyer than what most guys in this board fish for trout - that is suitable for use with an 3/4oz bombarda casting bobber for extra range.    
My friend got 3 smaller ones on the 11gr jig, I got a nice 22" one with the bombarda. I prefer the direct jigging though.

28805621jg.jpg

28805622yy.jpg

28805623js.jpg

Back