Quiet heat gun

jbdesigns

Hey guys, I've been using a heat gun that I also use for vehicle wraps.
It's big bulky and loud. I'd like to get a smaller quiet gun that I can use and watch the hockey game at the same time.
What are some recommendations
Thanks

Lost Pole

Go with the alcohol burner.
I also have a Wagner n it's noisy but I've learned it and don't have issues with its sound

A lot of people swear by the burners and I can see a few advantages. Especially if you're making powder coated eyes.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Oil burner with a glass chimney for me. NO noise at all and once i've learned how hot it gets with a certain size flame, it works like a dream.

Kdog

I still use a heat gun but have looked at infra red bulbs as an option. A 60 watt bulb generates around 300 degrees celcius 572F at a 3" distance. It would reqiure some experimentation but would be quiet (silent). Nice thing about IR heat is distance from source changes heat so a simple rack adjusted to the correct height each head would be same temp when you dip it.

This site gives some interesting facts about the bulbs http://www.tempco.com/Catalog/Section 7-pdf/Edison Bulb.pdf

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
We use some fancy quartz bulbs on our flash dryer for screen printing at work. Hot son of a guns! They are 16" tube style though. Might be a decent thing is they were more compact like Kdog shows.

goodtimesfishing

Interesting idea kdog! I use heat gun and the noise is not that big a deal to me.....however, if there was something that worked just as good or better with no noise......I'm in.

kdog, you are good at thinking outside the box. You seem to be a good brainstormer.....keep up the great idea's.

Kdog

My Wagner is a bit quieter than my Harbor Freight but I prefer the HF gun. I usually have the radio on when in my shop and I can hear it OK from my bad ear. As far as trying it in the living room while watching TV, I prefer the happy wife = happy life scenario and I am confident that running the heat gun in the LR to watch TV would result in Un Happy wife.

If I felt it necessary to watch TV while PC I would really look into the infrared ceramic bulbs as they make zero noise, Research indicates that most heat guns are around 50Db at your ear but I know that when I have mine running it is hard to carry on a conversation.

Back