Quick tying table from old junk

Jighead76

Made a tying table out of a folding tv table. I got the folding table at goodwill for $5. Slapped a couple boards on it I had laying around. Put the screws from the top down. You could use plywood but I had those. Laid some wool fabric down with spray glue then tucked and trimmed the edges and corners. Also put a few staples under it to make sure I got it tight. I wanted to use felt to keep things from sliding but again, that's what was laying around. Made a caddy out of a 1"x4" I had and stained it. Still not finished with it. I want to put dowels in it for thread and maybe a tinsel tree to hang tinsel. Then I reenforced where it was weak and put a hole for my waste basket.
Wala done. I know the fabric will get messed up, but hey it's a work table. I'll probably be wiping brushes on it anyway. It's nice because I can fold it up and put it away. Any more ideas would be great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 119

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent way to re-purpose that little table. Really like the waste bucket attached under the table, just scrape junk off the edge and into the trash. I could use something like that myself.... going to have to keep my eye out.

Additional 'mod' thought: Run a wire (coat hanger comes to mind) from end to end off the center 1x4 of your tool caddy so you can hang jigs as they are tied or waiting for glue/paint to dry.

fishindad

I tie on a portable table too. Sits right in front of my easy chair. Its also VERY cluttered. I like that trash bin idea ALOT! Great job.

Jighead76

Liked your coat hanger idea so much I had to put one in real quick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 72

Jighead76

Here's another picture of it and thanks for all the compliments. I know I'll have to reach for stuff, but I can turn even a full dining room table into a mess so I opted for a bigger space.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 69

Kdog

Good job re-purposing the table and little scraps of lumber. Waste can is a nice touch.

Pepop

Great space! I wish I could do something like your waste bin but my space is an old steel office desk (US Army circa ....... a LONG time ago) and the middle drawer is where all my jig heads are organized (I guess that's what you call it LOL). When you come up with something for your flash, I'd sure be interested in seeing it! Anyway, GREAT job!

Jighead76

Thanks, it's nice to hear good things from you guys. After seeing and learning so much from here (jigcraft) it's like a rookie hearing Babe Ruth say good job. Lol.
Anyway. I added a old desk lamp by drilling a hole in the table. And I plan on getting the hole saw out for my Sally Hansen bottles and a few larger things. Make my tinsel tree. Then I think I'll be done.
A idea I had for a future one is cut a large hole in it to sit a pie tin in where I can put odds and ends in. I use them a lot because they stack easy and are easy to grab things out of like beads, etc.

Jighead76

Picture of the lamp.
Oh another thing I may add is a drink holder for those 4 hour tying sessions. I am making it where I can break it down easy so it still will be portable. Might have to take it camping with me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 33

Jighead76

I was just thinking that ledhead, need some wheels.
I want my next one to be more portable. Maybe just drill holes in the wood for a few tools instead of the bulky thing on back and get me a mini batter powered led light that pops up. I haven't moved it since I built it because of all the junk on it. Haha. I would like a tray in it like my wife's art desk. It's a easel that has a paint drawer that folds up like a suitcase. It would be nice to be able to take outside to tie. Oh yeah, never mind... If it's nice enough to tie I'll be fishing. Sometimes I wonder what I like more. Tying, fishing, or eating them.

Back