Question

HairyMooseKnuckles

awhile back I ordered some Bucktail and marabou from a supplier. I'm just now getting around to using some of it. It looks like maybe it was an "In house" dye job. The color from the marabout comes off on my fingers and when I opened the Bucktail package, I noticed a smell. It's not a horrible smell, but it is noticble. I also noticed the hair is loose. I'm assuming it didn't get tanned properly. Some packages of what was sent was name brand and it's fine. It's only a few packs of what looks like it was done "In house" that's bad.

I don't want to go through the trouble of sending it back, it's not worth paying the postage. I don't want to name any names, but the individual seems pretty popular on a lot of the forums.

I'm contemplating throwing it out, but wondered if it could be salvaged. The dye job is pretty, it just comes off on my fingers.

Have y'all ever encountered this type of problem?

Pup

If there is a product label associated with an inferior product that, in this case, results in dye coming off on my hands or was odorous...

It wouldn't bother me to name the product and relay the facts online. If it's good enough for the supplier to ship it to you that way and expect you to accept it, then it's appropriate enough to be written about on a forum imo.

I guess I don't see why a supplier requires protection from the facts in this circumstance. Informing others does us all a favor and should alert the supplier to do things the right way, the first time.

I hate having to return items period.

Leaching dyes and odorous products mean poor quality control and sloppiness to me and aren't mistakes.

Unless... I'm curious, is the packaging from the marabou labeled 'Not Colorfast'? Many dyed feather packages in craft and hobby shops are labeled that way customarily.

duffy

I would at least give them a call and explain the situation, maybe they would replace it without you having to send it back. Sort of same thing happened to me. I had ordered some bucktails and noticed a foul odor on one of them. On closer inspection one of the tails hadn't been cleaned very well and still had crap on it. And when I say crap I mean manure and it smelled like a barnyard.

Jay Wirth

Not that we should have to but if washing and drying the tail solves the problem I would go with that. In the future beware of that supplier. The problem with the dye - I have some colors that do stain my fingers as I tie but does not fade from the tail. This is common and normal particularly for dark colors (blk, pur, red). To test the color fastness I would wash that tail with warm water and see if the color fades, my guess is that it wont.

HairyMooseKnuckles

Jay Wirth said:
Not that we should have to but if washing and drying the tail solves the problem I would go with that. In the future beware of that supplier. The problem with the dye - I have some colors that do stain my fingers as I tie but does not fade from the tail. This is common and normal particularly for dark colors (blk, pur, red). To test the color fastness I would wash that tail with warm water and see if the color fades, my guess is that it wont.

I'll send him an email and let the individual know, giving the opportunity to make it right before I tell anyone what company it came from. It could have been a quality "oversite." I know if I was a company owner, I'd at least want the opportunity to make something right.

luremaker

Like Jay Wirth stated sometimes it's just the nature of the beast. I've tied a lot of quality tails from the big name brands that would leave dye on my fingers when tying. I've also dyed tails on deer I've killed and died them with RIT dye and not had a problem. But, occasionally it happens. Not sure why, but it does.

Pup

Guys,

Maybe it's me, but I read HMK's post as if the marabou is bleeding and not the bucktail. The bucktail stinks...

How is it that stinky bucktails can be missed during the packaging or, particularly, the QC process? BTW, I am the less-than-proud owner of a stinky bucktail myself. ;)

LedHed

Sponsor
I would toss the bucktail - hope your supplier would reimburse you...

Same with the marabou if fades after a rinse.

Pup

OK.

Think I'll answer your question definitively. Demand marabou from the supplier that doesn't bleed and bucktail that doesn't stink. Believe me when I type this, that most small operators within any business sector do not wish to go to legal war or receive negative publicity, as it is expensive and can render them totally unprofitable.

Most truly wish to remain in business I'd think.

See what happens. Don't be fearful or concerned with small companies (or their reputations) frequently associated with or appearing as 'friendlies' to various web sites.

You pay good money to receive good product. There is nothing wrong with this type of action, or anything more to be said, or dancing around to be done.

Heya, best wishes and good luck.

goodtimesfishing

You owe it to the supplier to contact them and let them know what your concerns are. Give them a chance to make it right(you should NOT have to pay ANYTHING to correct the transaction) If the supplier expects you to pay to ship the item back.......well that is the kinda thing I would post right here. And if they correct the issue with a good product and a friendly apology.....I would post that here too. Any supplier can have a bad product squeak thru the system, it is how they handle it when brought to there attention that makes the difference to me. Now if it becomes a reoccurring issue......time to find a new supplier AND please inform us so we don't go through the same thing. Good word travels fast, bad....twice as fast.

hookup

I'm w/ Led

I don't want anything stinky mixed in with other tying material

Personally, I'd find another supplier

Fatman

If it has a smell and the hair is loose on it dump it - but I'd call the place you got it from first. Keep it away from your other materials.

joe

This thread embodies one of the primary reasons I've gravitated toward synthetics over the years. Some things I miss about natty materials, but they are so often a crapshoot in terms of quality and consistency.

More than a few stinky bucktails and greasepit feathers in my time and I won't tell ya how many little mites can hatch out of these ill prepared materials in a drawer. Point me to the fake stuff section, I'll make it work at the vise.

That said, sorry to hear...but it's the nature of dead animal parts.

Shoemoo

I wouldn't be so quick to toss the bucktail.

I don't use bucktail much, but on the ones I have used there is a smell. I have bought bucktail from Hareline and Wapsi, as well as house brands from places like Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse. I'm sure the retailers are buying them in bulk from one of the first two companies and repackaging them. They all have a smell to them.

Bucktails aren't usually tanned. They are raw cured but the hide is not turned into real leather like it would be on pelts like rabbit or squirrel. There's no point in tanning a bucktail used for tying because you cut the hair off to use it. It would just be an unnecessary step that increases the cost. They are sealed up in a bag which just concentrates the odor even more.

It's also pretty normal to have some loose hairs in the bag. If it's not all falling out, I would keep it. If you care about the smell, just leave it out of the bag for a few days and it will go away.

duffy

The smelly one I got had chunks of crap still on it and in the hair. I did wash it with some Hunter Specialty's scentless body soap and scrubbed it with a brush. It did clean it up and now the stink is mostly gone but I may have missed some up in the mid section as that area it still a bit smelly. Maybe a guy could use the stinking hair for catfish jigs! :D

Back