Question for those selling their stuff retail...

luremaker

Hey all,
I've always just put my jigs in small ziplock 2x3 bags and stapled them to a card to hang for retail sale.

Been getting more request for flies that I tie.

What is the best way to package flies? Most flies I've bought for resale have been in smaller clear hangboxes like crankbaits come in.

How do you all hang them for retail sale?

Thanks
Craig

luremaker

Yeah, I know the cost will have to go up on the fly if I put them in clamshell packaging but I think they will sell better than just putting them in bags.

Thanks

Jay Wirth

For flies most shops already have the big trays to display / sell and they are loose. delivering them in small plastic boxes filled with a few dozen at a time. For jigs I get 3x3 or 2x2 bags (company like uline) and staple a dozen to a card with hang hole.

luremaker

Jay Wirth said:
For flies most shops already have the big trays to display / sell and they are loose. delivering them in small plastic boxes filled with a few dozen at a time. For jigs I get 3x3 or 2x2 bags (company like uline) and staple a dozen to a card with hang hole.

I had thought about doing it this way, but I have too many small kids coming through the shop to be able to safely do this. Plus, I have no place to put a bin but do have some space for hanging.

I'd even thought about just getting some and putting them in a plano box and putting them on a counter for display. But, I don't have a counter close to the fly fishing stuff. :beat-up:

May have to go clamshell yet.

Thanks

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a buyer, not a seller......

I like being able to pick them up and look at them so would vote for the bin, but the plano box would work just as well. Then again.... i like to grab them so i can figure out how they tied them and go home and make my own. :D

QPassage

I was in a shop in MI once and they had a foam display hanging on the wall. The flies were just stuck in it. The guy just popped in every day or so to restock. They had a mean little bugger he sold for salmon. Hard to recall the size but it was small enough that the rubber neoprene tail made it float. They were always sold out by mid morning. The guy had a great thing going for him. Hundreds of ties going thru that shop daily.
Luremaker something like that might allow you to place it up at eye level and keep the little finger safe from the hooks ;)

luremaker

QPassage said:
I was in a shop in MI once and they had a foam display hanging on the wall. The flies were just stuck in it. The guy just popped in every day or so to restock. They had a mean little bugger he sold for salmon. Hard to recall the size but it was small enough that the rubber neoprene tail made it float. They were always sold out by mid morning. The guy had a great thing going for him. Hundreds of ties going thru that shop daily.
Luremaker something like that might allow you to place it up at eye level and keep the little finger safe from the hooks ;)

That's a good idea. Thanks.

Back