Question about Glow powder paint

AllenOK

A couple years ago, I bought a small jar of Glow White powder from CAT.  When I did those tungsten jigs a couple weeks ago, I noticed that the ones painted with Glow White had a mottled glow effect.  I've got a test batch baking right now to try and rule out some variable.  However, while I was prepping those, I hit my open jar of powder with my UV torch to "charge it up" a bit and held down below my desk to see how it was glowing.  What I noticed right off the bat, with the UV torch on it, was that the loose powder also had a "mottled" effect, as it will fluoresce under UV light.  When I turned the torch off, and held it below my desk in the shade, again, a mottle effect.

Does this stuff loose it's potency after awhile?  I bought some Glow Chartreuse and Glow Hot Pink last year, and those are glowing fine.

AllenOK

Well, guess I should have done a search on this topic before I posted. I made a post about this when I first bought the powder. Had the same results then that I'm having now. Maybe I need to look into the Alumaglow powder?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
You didn't happen to cut it with some clear? I do that with some of the thicker powders i have purchased.

AllenOK

In reading my old thread about the same issue, I may have.  But, I doubt it was a lot.  If I did, I probably dumped it back into the jar.  Might need to stir up some.

That said, I found an even older thread, someone else had the same issue.  LedHed advised that person to get a small mirror, dump some powder on it, and crush it a bit with a spoon.  I may try that one as well.

Kdog

I bought an inexpensive spice grinder to regrind some clumped powder... have noticed that the finer you grind it the better is coats, also easier to have a thin coating. Originally I had some pearl white that ws giving me fits and I felt it was too coarse. Finely ground it is perect.

duffy

Sort of wonder if the product is simply clear with some glow mixed in. That glow is expensive and the company may be trying to make it go farther plus making it stick like regular powder paint. Have to agree on the grinding making things better. I had trouble blending some colors of different brands until I crushed them in my old mortar and pestle then they stayed mixed and came out smooth.

AllenOK

I tried crushing it up a bit and it still does that half-a$$ed glow thing. Heck with it. I ordered some AlumiGlow White today.

Back