Pushing Crankbaits For Crappie

ScottV

We caught one small one so far on a push pole.
a6937145-2ca6-fd0f.jpg

I'm pushing with two poles in front and pulling with six poles in the rear.
a6937145-2dd0-44da.jpg

a6937145-2de1-d68d.jpg

Another pushing.
a6937145-2e23-ce7c.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
If i understand it right, those 'push' cranks should be pretty much right under the boat..... How deep of water are you running them in and can you see them (the cranks or the weights) on your fishfinder? Maybe depends where your transducer is mounted.

ScottV

I was using 3 oz in line trolling sinkers about 4 ft up the line from the crankbait. I like the 3 oz because it has my line going back at 45 degrees. I start my line counter when the weight enters the water so the depth would be 2/3 the distance of the amount of line out. Think of a right triangle.

Russ - We were fishing in 12 to 14 fow and going 1.7 mph with the ipilot. I've got a trolling motor transducer and if you run the push poles straight out you can see the crankbaits on the depth finder. I was running mine out to the side. It's harder to tell when you get a fish on sometimes because of the weight already having your rod bent. I had one on today and the way I knew was when he jumped out of the water even with the back of the boat.

ScottV

In the second picture you can see how much bow is in the rod. The fourth pic shows a fish coming in and you can see the weight up the line. The man in the first pic is a fishing buddy, Steve Jordon.

Jig Man

After fishing both ways, which is easier and or seems to work better "hold depth/ keep bait in the strike zone".... Pushing the bait or pulling the bait

ScottV

Actually, pulling the crankbait is the best way but you can only get so many lines out the back of the boat. It's just way to get more baits in the water without tangling.

Lost Pole

Boy yall make it look fun.
Pushin and pulling…
Long lining and spider rigging...

I'm too slow for all of it. BUT I'll be da@%ed if I'm not fascinated by it. 'Specially after Mr G's stories of his trips. Heard he was Gon head that way soon, butcha never know with that rascal..... Betcha he's got 4 or 5 beautiful women pulling him in diff directions.

Where's the ironin board pic?

ScottV

That's dill dip that my wife sells. Best stuff ever with fish. Rice is boiling in the boiler.

Fatman - When you have all you're lines out you have to make turns real gradual. With the boat moving forward the fish you catch usually come to the top and you can just "ski" them to the boat. Sometimes a catfish or striper can cause a mess though.

Back