Proteck gold. What gives?

Fireshadow

I picked up some proteck gold yesterday and it was not what I thought it would be. It looks more like a sand color that gold. I thought it would have way more shine but it looked flat. Don't get me wrong ill make it work on something. I was wondering what you guys thought it would do if I added some gold micro glitter or mica to give it more shine. Thoughts please.

Pepop

If it has a sand look, I'd think adding some brown &/or black to darken it up and some high gloss clear for shine. I'm brand new at mixing so I may be completely wrong. Fatman & Radtexan are the color mixing guru's. Look in the Powder Paint Colors thread and you'll see what 2 different supplier's gold looks like. Both are excellent and if you want/need a pound, Rosey's Sun Gold Metallic is the way to go but if you only want a couple to 4 oz, Columbia Coating's can fix you up.

Fatman

Okay ProTech has two different golds!! One is regular gold and one is transparent gold, not sure which one you have!!

If you add glitter to it you may have problems with it in a fluid bed as the glitter tends to flow to the sides.

If you have an old wide cap medicine bottle you could put say an 1/2 of a teaspoon of the gold and some of your mica shake it up and try coating one to see if that helps - if you also have some clear you could add a 1/2 teaspoon of that.

Not sure about the brown and black - darker tends to darken. Something to remember about mixing what it looks like in the cup may not be what it looks like on your jig!!!!!!

If it's really not what you want I'd send it back, you'll see in the thread that Pepop posted about you're looking at NON ProTec colors. Except for a few that I haven't found at the powder sites I'm getting away from it.

Just looked at a site (Painting) and to mix gold they say?? Gold can be made by simply mixing yellow, brown and just a bit of red. You can lighten the gold color by adding white or darken it by adding more brown

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I would say not to add any mica powder to it..... thinking that is what makes it dull in the first place. Some of the colors i have added silver mica to, the end result is a dull finish.

If using the transparent gold, use raw jig heads that have a bright finish to them and make the layer of paint as thin as possible and still cover it. :cool:

Back