Protech Powder Paint

Pop

I have been having a problem with the white Protech powder paint. I get better coverage just dipping into the jar than using my fluid bed. Does anyone else have a problem with the Protech white? Thanks, Pop

LedHed

Sponsor
Don't feel alone. My problem was that it wouldn't fluff. I don't use an undercoat - ended up making a pearlescent white that works pretty good for my white paint. Never wrote down a formula and I add holographic glitter.

Try adding some clear (1prt) to white (3prt) and do a small batch at first. Or you might try using pearl white instead of the clear. I ended up using both - Columbia Coatings mirror clear & Protech pearl/white.

Sure you will hear several replies on this one....

plateboater

Pop....go with Rosey's or Colombia Coating. Been getting more powder from Roseys towards end of last year.

JSC

ALL of the white I have used is "heavy" .. Hard to "Fluff" in Fluid Bed.
If I can use one hand to "Swirl" the cup and then dip .. works fine ..
Need 3 hands to get er done.

:)

hookup

White is the toughest powder paint I use. Even dipping, it's a mess.

Pop

Thanks for the replies. Sorry everyone else is also having problems with the white, but; nice to know its just not me. Pop

Edgecrusher

I spray my powdercoat, and white is very frustrating that way - all brands. hard to get coverage, doesn't flow well etc...

Radtexan

Both the protech and orbit white I have are clumpy and hard to use.But as Sonny said i have a pearl white,from crazy(not sure what brand) that works fine and looks much better than the plain anyway.

Kdog

I have HF white and few others but did a lot of experiments with the HF and my fluid bed has an oversupply of air so I need to leave an air valve open just keep pressure low enough. Once I got that figured out. Lots of trial and errors.

What I did find with HF and most other whites is cooler jig temp improves coating. If there is any shine when I pull it out, temp is too hot and cured coating suffers,

Some whites have an overabundance of clear in the already so be careful with additions. Double coating some of my whites seems to be the only way I get a nice coating.

Also, I find that only filling my paint cup with 1/4" of powder gives the best result. When fluidized, my powder will be at the 1/2" - 5/8" line. I do get some small volcano's but not real bad.

Really wish I had and ESD set up and I know white works well with that system

I have a pearl white that needs double coated and a glow white that covers well but sensitive on cure it says 375 degrees but at 375 will often get a golden-bronze look. I cure it at 225 for 30 mins and no problems but for a true pearl, it needs to have a silver//chrome undercoat.

smalljaw

JSC said:
ALL of the white I have used is "heavy" .. Hard to "Fluff" in Fluid Bed.
If I can use one hand to "Swirl" the cup and then dip .. works fine ..
Need 3 hands to get er done.

:)

JSC is exactly right, white seems to be really dense and doesn't fluff very well in the fluid bed but all it takes is a quick swirl of the fluid bed and a quick dip and you're good to go. That is of course your fluid bed isn't a large 6" X 6" square, LOL.

eyecrosser

I stir my white with a small model paintbrush and then try to limit time over flame for jighead. Also, does anyone have a good source for a red glow powder paint???

Back