ProTec glow Yellow

Guys I am a rookie at powder paint. I have figured out most of my problems through trial and error and have pm'd a few guys. My problem now is this ProTec glow yellow. I heat my jig heads with a heat gun, and cure in a little toaster oven. I do not use a fluid bed. The problem is this stuff sliding really bad. I have cured at 350 for 15-20 min, that didn't work. Next I went to 325 for 20 min- this works ok on the small 1/32 and under heads still have a couple drip, but no go on 1/16 oz. Looked at ProTec website and found jigs with weed guards can cure at 250 for 25 min. So I tried that it worked ok still had a little movement on the paint. Will curing the paint at 250 for 25 min actually work and make it a durable finish? I have tried different heat times with the heat gun, added equal amount of clear to color paint, and brush tapping this yellow over another color. I have 3 other colors from ProTec, several from Crazy Angler, and several candys and vein paints also and this is the only one that I can't get right. Any help is much appreciated.

Kdog

IMO you are getting your jig too hot before dipping. Get the head hot enough that it colors when dipped. If it comes out shiny, it is too hot starting out

I've tried heating with the heat gun from 4 up to 12 seconds. Any less than 7 seconds I don't get enough paint on to cover even with just color- no clear. The paint melts or turns shiny at 9 seconds.

Kdog

WOW, 7 seconds is my count for my 1/8 oz aspirin heads.

I second plateboater's sentiment about surface contamination. Also, If you recently smoked your mold that can leave some residue on the first group of castings although I have never had a problem as a result it is worth mentioning. You can clean your heads with alcohol or acetone, just be careful. let them dry, then try again.

Is the powder nice and fluffy sometimes when it sits it tends to clump and get very stiff.

Its been so long since I dipped, I cannot remember the all the tricks to getting a even thin coating with that method.

It is also possible that you have very old or even defective powder. But that is not likely. If you have some white, you may want to try a basecoat of white followed by the yellow.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
By your explanation, i would also guess the heads are getting heated too hot and too much powder is sticking. I heat my heads just enough so the powder sticks to the head but does not get glossy. The head should look dusty after the quick dip and swirl in the paint. To test if the color had full coverage on the jig, put it over the heat and let it totally gloss over. The paint will spread some. If it does not completely cover the head and you need to dip it twice...... on the next head you paint, heat it just the same the first time so it gets a dusty coat, then back to the heat watching closely until you see the dust JUST START to change (it will start to look lumpy instead of dusty) and then dip it again. It should still look dusty after the 2nd dip/swirl and fill in the lumps.

Option 2 for curing thick paint so it will not slip and drip...... hang it in your oven at a temp of 250 for 15 minutes at first so the heads and paint completely get hot. This lets the paint set up some. Then start slowly increasing the temp 25 degrees every 5 minutes until you get to around 340, set it lower than 350 so it does not overshoot. Set the timer for 15 minutes for the final cure. I wait and cure a large batch at a time since this takes longer (close to an hour) but do not get drips and sags anymore and the paint is rock solid.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try what AF said and see what happens. I don't pour, I buy my jig heads. Sounds like when I get some more I need to get a different yellow paint.

goodtimesfishing

like kdog mentioned, I would recommend a real light base coat of white first, then the glow yellow. You will like the final color better with a white base coat. As far as not getting to much powder on head do like attica said and to add to it I would be sure and fluff up your powder prior to each dip. I have noticed some colors seam like they need fluffed more often, I stir it up with a bamboo skewer.

Back