Predominantly a fly fisher but…

fishdreamer

I read that you were trying to get more activity. I am not sure if this really qualifies but I thought I would throw it out there. I have been visiting JC from time to time for a long time. I am predominantly a fly fisher. I got into fly fishing because I thought it would be fun to catch fish on flies that I tied myself. I was right. Then on JC I learned that most sub-surface fly patterns can be easily adapted to a jig hook. I began to experiment and found that the ugly things I created were attractive to the fish anyway. I get the same kind of satisfaction catching fish on jigs that I tied as I do catching them on my flies. I am still predominately a fly fisher but I now have an option that I enjoy for when the weather or other circumstance makes fly fishing difficult if not impossible. I don’t think I have ever posted on JC but I did learn a lot from the folks that did. Thanks for taking your time to share your knowledge so that folks like me could learn from your experience. Anyway, tight lines. I hope JC will continue. I haven’t found anything else like it.

eddieb

There are a lot of good people on this site , they can give a lot of good advice ,I know I have learned a lot about making jigs ,I to hope this site stays around

Hawnjigs

KISS
Hahaha, no disrespect intended to yah FD, but committed full time jiggers like JiggerJohn & myself chuckle about flyguys and their cookie cutter attitudes and apparel choices. Personally never had and never will touch a fly rod speshly at the advanced age when all the extra effort to get a hook in the water seems time-energy inefficient.

While a slow weightless strip of a suspended fly may sometimes be the best ticket to solicit strikes most times a light as possible jig is just as effective, only requiring a single arm-wrist flick to get in the bite zone. Certainly a jig is a better option for deeper presentations when applicable. And, most of my favored shoreline spots would seriously limit back casting or wading, especially at night.

Altho I don't, could use a float to present tiny or surface drift flies.

So yah, nice that you have the versatility of adapting fly or jig fishing to situations that may favor one or the other approach.

Share some of your catches, gear choices, & tekneeks if you like.

Bucho

Hahaha, no disrespect intended to yah FD, but committed full time jiggers like JiggerJohn & myself chuckle about flyguys and their cookie cutter attitudes and apparel choices. Personally never had and never will touch a fly rod speshly at the advanced age when all the extra effort to get a hook in the water seems time-energy inefficient.

Well, you were missing out. For me as for many others, it is not about efficiency or the challenge of fly casting, it is the tactile experience of holding the line itself directly in your bare hands that is addictive about fly fishing. Can`t beat "the direct wire" to the fish, to use a German figure of speech. I am fishing more than I want to,. promoting and testing my lures, but I still miss my fly fishing for sea run browns.

That being said, as you mention, the back cast and so.... efficiency is something one can get used to. I will never foget my first trout on an improvised pin / bead jig that took between the very bank rocks of the canal where it would have been impossible to offer a fly that way.

FD, I strongly encourage you to post whatever works for you, regardless of what you think wether it met anybody`s standards or expectations or so. I sure did not care too much about that and it made me learn a lot more, fast.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Maybe a fly fishing purist never adequately explored the advantages of jig fishing?
The same could definitely be said for myself as a jig purist.

It could be said that perhaps the ultimate line in your hand feel of a fish fight could be experienced without a rod or reel. Check out this handline catch by a 12 yr old girl.

fishdreamer

While a slow weightless strip of a suspended fly may sometimes be the best ticket to solicit strikes most times a light as possible jig is just as effective, only requiring a single arm-wrist flick to get in the bite zone. Certainly a jig is a better option for deeper presentations when applicable. And, most of my favored shoreline spots would seriously limit back casting or wading, especially at night.

Altho I don't, could use a float to present tiny or surface drift flies.

So yah, nice that you have the versatility of adapting fly or jig fishing to situations that may favor one or the other approach.

Share some of your catches, gear choices, & tekneeks if you like.
Thanks for the perspective Hawnjigs. If I ever get to go fishing I will try to do that. Spending what free time I have these days trying to get my kitchen fixed up. Everything you said was true. Fly fishing isn’t for everyone. It tends to be a royal PIA sometimes and it certainly isn’t always the best tool for the job. There’s just something about the feel of a fish on a fly rod. There’s nothing else like it. I didn’t grow up fly fishing. In fact I grew up and learned to fish with a cane pole. Enjoyed every minute of it and caught A LOT of fish. Never owned a rod with a reel on it until I was in high school. I don’t consider myself a purist. The thing that originally drew me to fly fishing is the same thing that draws me to jigcraft. Catching fish on my own creations. Just hope I get to put some to use soon.

hookup

Fly fisherman love the 1/64 oz jigs I pour and tie. I get a few laughs at first until they tie one on and really fish it. A 1/64" round ball on a #6 hook with a light tie of chenille & a tail of some sort of fur that used to be alive

Hawnjigs

KISS
I've bumped ideas with distinguished Great Lakes area fly guy Bob Long whose current fave is tenkara smallmouth. He does readily admit that his area salmon-steelhead require appropriate fly fishing gear due to the limitations of commercially available tenkara poles. For direct feel of the fight hand poling is a close second to handlining and actually beefed up gear can extend tenkara apps.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Altho long supple rods may offer extended casting leverage and line break cushion on fights my experience is that shorter stiffer rods offer a more exciting connection into the hands/arms during battles. Eventually the necessary tekneek of dropping the rod tip to avoid overload line breaks becomes an instinctive reaction to sudden big fish surges. Currently all my rods are shorter than 6' and my big fish rod is a cut down from 6' M to 5'7" closer to MH action.

One can stay in the boat copying others or solo paddle ones own canoe. Leaps of faith.

Microbaits

Many years ago I put a spinning reel on an old fly rod. It was a hoot for my Dad! I may have caught a few fish, but I don't think so. My Dad called it my magic wand!
Then an old friend gave me a decent fly reel and I was catching all kinds of fish, but nothing spectacular. Regardless, we both had fun. I miss my Dad more and more as time goes by.
Enjoy yours for as long as you can. I get that not everyone gets along, but I know that I made the effort and it paid off.

Back