powder paint worry

hhawkins

Well, I bought a powder paint color, (pearl) wanted to try it out. A friend of mine said warm the lead head for a 6-8 seconds. Well at 4 1/2 seconds I ended up with the head completely melted off the hook. Now I feel really bad. I want to get into using powder paint, but I'm afraid to warm a head up then coat it and put in the toaster oven. I'm afraid that I won't have any jig heads :s just a mess of melted lead :s I need help !!!!!!!!!!!!! What keeps the lead head from melting off in the oven? :huh:

LedHed

Sponsor
HH

Depends on what you are using to pre-heat up your jig. Don't use an open flame, an embossing gun or a heat gun are better. Don't hold the jig so close to the heat source.You can apply 3 to 4 colors with no problem. Curing temp for powder paint is less than 1/2 the temp to melt lead. PM cadman for a tutorial on powder painting.
Get a cheap toaster oven...

Hawnjigs

KISS
Wow, sounds like you used a torch? I agree with LedHed that a heat gun might be a better choice, but my paint guy has done hundreds of heads for me using a candle to pre-heat.

The melting point of lead is 622*F(slightly less for alloys) so not likely a toaster oven can even get that hot.

Ditto on Cadman for expert advice.

JUNGLEJIM1

There are some professional painters on this site and I'm not one of them unfortunately. Everything depends on the size head you are painting. A 6-8 count would be good for a 1/8 but not a 1/32. Whatever you are painting cut the time in half and adjust count until you get the results you want. Cadman and others on here make some killer jigs.

ScottV

I use a small propane camp stove to heat my heads with. I hold on to the hook with forceps and hold the lead head at the top of the flame. Two seconds on one side then flip the head over for two more seconds works well for a 1/16 head. I usually heat a 1/8 head three seconds on one side and two on the other.

toadfrog

You can get a small alcohol burner from barlowes or janns. Hold the hook between your fingers and pass it back and forth through the flame watch the head It wil suddenly become more shiny and you will feel the hook warm . dip it right then. The burner uses denatured alcohol available any where paint is sold. On small heads from 1/32 up to about 3/8 you can use a bread toaster. Clip two or three jigs in a pair of hemostats hang them in the toaster ,hit the switch when it pops dip'em.May take playing with the temp to get it just right so as not to melt off the head. I do this all the time when in a pinch. you can put them right back on the toaster to dip the second color. Then back them out in any oven you want.

hhawkins

Thanks guys! I was using a regular pocket lighter. This makes me feel a little better to know that I'm not completely a lost cause :-/ What about a sterno canister? The ones you use for for catered buffet pans. And can I get one of you to send a pic of a heat gun so I can get a better idea of what is being used? Thank you again! Learning isn't without loss, especially when it comes to jig head, but don't want to lose any of those :p

toadfrog

Sterno puts off noxious fumes that is not good for you. plus its expensive. I'll try to find my burner and post a pic.

JSC

hhawkins said:
And can I get one of you to send a pic of a heat gun so I can get a better idea of what is being used? :p

Hi
Just got around to this today ....
The one on the right is from Harbour Freight ... it is a Dual Heat level Gun .... The other is a Wagner has more heat and control settings .. the Harbour freigtht is really good for the money ...
Hope this helps a little ... I use the heat gun on small stuff but go to a torch for the larger stuff ..

JSC
:jig: :)

Attachments

• HeatGuns.jpg
    HeatGuns.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 62

hhawkins

JSC said:
hhawkins said:
And can I get one of you to send a pic of a heat gun so I can get a better idea of what is being used? :p

Hi
Just got around to this today ....
The one on the right is from Harbour Freight ... it is a Dual Heat level Gun .... The other is a Wagner has more heat and control settings .. the Harbour freigtht is really good for the money ...
Hope this helps a little ... I use the heat gun on small stuff but go to a torch for the larger stuff ..

JSC
:jig: :)

Thanks JSC for the pics of the heat guns. They look just like a hair dryer, got one of those...LOL! :p I'm going to have to go do some shopping when I get the chance. Thank you again, Heather

LedHed

Sponsor
hh
If you are going to do so single and maybe double colors you can get by with the alcohol burners (cheaper & quieter).

For me it is easier to use the heat guns because I paint with more than 2 colors. Re-heating a jig, with paint on it, requires more consistent and precise heat application to the jig head. I heat from the jigs from the side not from the bottom so I can watch the paint on the jig – key for adding additional colors. Also needed is good overhead lighting to see when the paint starts to gloss.

Recently started using the embossing heat gun for small jigs. It’s quieter than its big brother; cost was ~$10 w/store coupon at a local craft store, and real easy to use. Don’t think it can do the saltwater or big bass stuff.

View attachment 8

Attachments

• Heat source.jpg
    Heat source.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 58

baitmaster

HH,
I started powder coating with an open flame on a hand held propane torch. After much frustration, I broke down and bought the Wagner heat gun shown on the left in JSC's post. Much less frustration and better results. Picked it up from Home Depot for $22.00

JSC

"Recently started using the embossing heat gun for small jigs. It’s quieter than its big brother; cost was ~$10 w/store coupon at a local craft store, and real easy to use"

Hi LH
How hot does it get ?? Looks like it would be better for the reheats when making more that 1 color ??

Thanx
JSC

LedHed

Sponsor
JSC
Put a TC wire in the hot zone, when it was on and it was 500F +. Works great for small stuff. Still makes noise but not like the bigger industrial models.

JSC

LedHed said:
JSC
Put a TC wire in the hot zone, when it was on and it was 500F +. Works great for small stuff. Still makes noise but not like the bigger industrial models.

Thanx .... I need to try that out ... have not had a chance to look it up .. where can I find it??

Thanx
JSC

jjsjigs

Banned
Heat guns are the "cadillac" of heating jig heads. However, I have been using a hurricane lamp and filling it with Marine Gas (Distilled ETOH). It burns a nice blue flame and heats the heads up very quickly. Plus... in case of a power outage in your house you can boil a few cups of water for Ramen Noodles in about 6 minutes! LOL!

Back