Powder Paint Question

ScottV

I hope some of you could help me with this. I got some "Candy Yellow", and "Super Glow Orange" paint and when I paint jigs, the lead color bleeds through. I've tried dipping in white PP first, then in the other color but the white bleeds through when I cure them. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Scott

ragged edge

Before heating the head, wipe it off and notice how much grey is left on the rag. Don't know if that is the cure for problem....

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Candys and translucents do that. They dont cover as much as the other powders. If you dont like the look try a silver base coat.

ScottV

I just dipped a few more heads. I base coated with white and then the candy yellow and it looks good if I don't cure it. Think I'm gonna leave it like it is.

flatsrat76

ScottV said:
I just dipped a few more heads. I base coated with white and then the candy yellow and it looks good if I don't cure it. Think I'm gonna leave it like it is.

Try a chrome base coat :beat-up:

ragged edge

I have not had this experience with my solid, candy colors or glitters??????? Could it be an alloy in the lead? Tungsten? Who are you buying your heads from?

crappiecripplerjigs

The candy and glow colors look good on raw lead if you use a heat gun but any flame seems to make the lead and base coats bleed through. Might try dipping raw heads in vinegar and drying??? An old fart at work told me that trick! I've also noticed when powder coating with bright green, some chartreuese, and silver colors, a quick dip in clearcoat with glitter (Pro Tec or make your own) really brings out the color. Some of them seem dull. Could be old powder. Hope you get it figured out !

ScottV

I've been getting 1/16 and 1/8 collarless roundheads as well as 1/8 minnow heads from chuckanddebs.com. Also my paint came from them. It's Pro-tec (supposidly) and it comes in plain jars.

Jiggin Joe

i have used lots of paint and heads from them and had no problems. I have noticed when i do super glow paint that the white will bleed threw what i did was cured at a lower temp 275 for 30 minutes and that seemed to help alot.

ScottV

Jiggin Joe said:
i have used lots of paint and heads from them and had no problems. I have noticed when i do super glow paint that the white will bleed threw what i did was cured at a lower temp 275 for 30 minutes and that seemed to help alot.

Thanks JJ, So do you also dip your heads in white before you use the "thin" colors like candy yellow? I'll try curing at lower temps and see if that helps. Been curing at 350 for 20 min.. I don't have a heat gun. What I use is a small LP gas camp stove and turn the burner to where my flame is about 1/4 in. tall. I usually heat each side of the head for 3 to 4 seconds right at the top of the flame.

Jiggin Joe

i use a alcohol burner and do the same thing just try a lower temp for longer period they will still be rock hard when done. hope it helps

ScottV

JJ, I cured some more of the candy yellow over a white base coat at 275 for 20 min.. It worked better. I tyed up a couple of bou/wabbits to show how they did.
c0325211.jpg
b8c89efa.jpg

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Yep thats what they spose to look like! Now just drop 'em on the concrete to see if you cured them long enough!:beat-up:

Back