Powder coating weedless jigs??

crappiecripplerjigs

A friend of mine has a handful of raw 3/8 oz. bass jigs with fiber weedguards. Can these be powder painted or would it be a hassle? Using a heat gun for heat source and don't know if the guards would melt or be able to withstand curing in the oven.

CrappieHappy

I have never tried painting or curing with the weedguard. I have seen a silicone plug designed to fit into the mold that will reserver the hole for the weedguard during the pouring process.. after painted and cured, they epoxy the guard in..

Ted (Cadman) may have some insight on this...

Pup

Since it's only a handful of jigs, why not try painting the lead heads with your choice of either nail polish or acrylic paint? Allow the polish/paint to dry completely and then brush on a topcoat of Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy onto the heads and around the weedguards. Stand the jigs up in a block of foam and allow to cure overnight. Gravity should pull any excess epoxy down and around the weedguards as it sets and begins curing. The resulting finish is glossy and durable.

Fatman

I've read some of Cadmans replies about powder painting jigs with weedguards and this is just really basic info on it - Send him a PM and he can explain more. He's tried many different ways of powder painting with the guards in then curing and just ruined to many. He uses Teflon pins to pour the jigs, powder paints with them in and before curing pulls the pins out. After they get cured he glues the weedguards in.

Before I got into powder painting I always painted mine and then used a two part epoxy over the top of it. Testor's paint's have a bunch of nice metal flake colors you could use then epoxy them - I still do some even now that I have all my fluid beds and powder. Or as Pup said try some fancy nail polish then epoxy, since you don't have many.

cadman

Hey guys,
Here is the scoop on painting jigs with weedguards. If the jigs have the weedguards poured in place, I have never had any good success with powder painting them. The heat from the baking in the oven curls the weedguard strands and then they are all mis-shapen. I've heard people put aluminum foil and special sleeves sold for this application, but to me this is too time consuming. So in this situation, just paint like mentioned with nail polish or lacquer paint and call it a day. Now if you buy raw jigs with out the weedguard, then you can use nylon pull pins in the weedguard hole, providing they fit. Stick the pin in the weedguard hole prior to heating the jig. Heat the jig, swish through powder paint, pull jig out and immediately pull out pull pin. Put jig on rack and when you're done with all of them put in oven to cure.

******Some things to know as well. Pull pins can not be used over an open flame. I use a heat gun to heat my jigs prior to dipping in paint.
******When you pull the pins out of a hot painted jig, do not use your fingers the pins are very hot.
******Do not bake your jig with the pins inside to take out later. You will harden the paint on the pins which go into the hole and when you pull it out the paint will chip.
******You can also use the same pins for pouring jigs with weedguards in your molds. I have been using them for about 3 years now. The nylon pins are a breeze to get out of a weedguard hole versus the old metal base pins.
******The nylon pins are reusable over and over and over again. You can use them forever until you lose them.
******I have been promoting this concept for a long time it is first finally catching on.

With that said, once you use them you will never go back to your old ways. It is soooooo much easier......If you want more info PM me and I will be more than happy to help

jig-guy

Great information. I will be changing how I build my jigs with weed guards.
Got my training wheels on and thank you all for this post.:icon14:

LedHed

Sponsor
ccj -with the weed guards installed you can try wrapping the fibers with foil. And cure at lower and longer time.
The jigs only need to be heated up enough for the powder paint to stick. I usually cure everything at ~315 F for 20 minutes or longer.

cadman

LedHed,
You are correct the lower the heat temp. the longer the time in the oven = the better chance of not curling the fibers.

LedHed

Sponsor
Hey cadman don't they have some teflon tubng you can use over the fibers also? Thought I saw some in McMaster Carr. Or someone was talking about it on TU.......

JUNGLEJIM1

I use the teflon tubing to powder paint my bass jigs and it works really well. Stuff is really hard and won't melt. I slide it over the nylon wedd guard,heat and dip. When curing I go with lower temps and cure longer. I got the tubing from a friend,said it was expensive but I don't know what he paid for it.

cadman

LedHed said:
Hey cadman don't they have some teflon tubng you can use over the fibers also? Thought I saw some in McMaster Carr. Or someone was talking about it on TU.......

LedHed,
Yes Do-It sells it and so does Barlow's and I'm sure others. I have never tried it. This may be the same thing junglejim1 is talking about as well.
Here is the link.

http://do-itmolds.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=2_115

Fatman

It seems the easier of the two ways is Cads - leaving the pin, poweder coat it, pull the pin and cure. With that weed guard out of the way it's much easier to tie jigs like this. I'd pick glue the weed guard after.

cadman

Fatman said:
It seems the easier of the two ways is Cads - leaving the pin, poweder coat it, pull the pin and cure. With that weed guard out of the way it's much easier to tie jigs like this. I'd pick glue the weed guard after.

I like my way too.:Banane44: It is just easier for me. Whatever works for everyone else is OK. We all have our own little tricks that make life easier for each of us. To each his own.

Back