Poured some of the new ECs

LedHed

Sponsor
Might have some tyed up for a field test on Tuesday. Seem slightly lighter wire than the Matzuo sickles - different point.

Poured up a bunch of custom chubs, regular Chubs, & footballs on the new hooks;

View attachment 1

#6 BLN hook comparison. Top row is Matzuo, mid is EC, and the round bend hook is #6 Owner;

View attachment 2

Attachments

• IMG_1323 (1024x713).jpg
    IMG_1323 (1024x713).jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1324 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_1324 (1024x768).jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 141

Hawnjigs

KISS
The ECs do appear to have narrower gaps & a bigger barb? Why don't you like em, JJ1?

Edit: been gone awhile, found your reply on a previous post JJ1.

Fatman

They look good but Cabela's didn't have any in stock when I went last week. But I'm gonna get some and try them.

Sonny is that what you call an organized chaos??LOL Wish I had a dedicated space like that!!!

Fatman

They look good - they didn't have any when I stopped at Cabela's last week but I'm going to try some.

Is that what you call organized chaos Sonny!!LOL whish I had a dedicated space like that!!!!!

Jig Man

Only thing I don't like about the Matzuo is the barb... lookin forward to the report on the EC's LH.

LedHed

Sponsor
The hooks in the photo are a #6

Really like the new hook - pretty sure I will be phasing out Matzuo (mostly because of the QC issues).

Check out todays fish report at LP...

hookup

My beef w/ Matzuo is the QC issues.

I'll try the EC's when I find them. Who's selling them now?

LedHed

Sponsor
Got mine from Capt. Hooks. Seems to be a thinner wire - might want to ask first. The leg height is way more consistent - helps with the pours. And I think it helps with hook sets.............

LedHed

Sponsor
oops
500BP-6 "Lil Nasty"
Captain Hooks doesn't list them in bronze. They have red & gold. They also list them as comparable to Matzuo - not!. I think they are better - but I like light wire hooks.

LedHed

Sponsor
Step up from the old EC - not sure if comparable on sharpness. They do stick fish, had a slight edge with the EC yesterday..

Kdog

Captain Hooks Has the 4 primary colors with red being the most expensive.
E500 = Bronze
500BP = Black Nickle
500G = Gold
500R = Red

Getting ready to pull the plug on a bunch of these. Is wire really smaller or is it just more consistant, Matzuos have a lot of variation in every aspect including wire diameter. I cursed their Quality issues from day 1 but really like the hook and have been hoping mustad or EC would bring out a competitive version which eagle claw has done. I am getting ready to order ~5000 hooks and started a poll unrelated but does relate to my order.

JUNGLEJIM1

Led sent me a few #6 EC'S to try and they just might find a permanent place in my tackle bag. I used them to fish for trout and have not lost a fish once stuck. The sickle bend isn't as pronounced compared to the Matzuo sickle with not as much gap, possibly a little longer. To me a very big selling point is that they are made in the USA. Up until now I hadn't used an EC for close to 15 years because of hooks breaking at the bend and costing a few big fish. I'll give them a second chance with these. Hope they don't disappoint me. They just might hurt Matzuo enough that they will finally look at their QC issues.

hookup

LedHed said:
oopsI like light wire hooks.

Me too.

Buddy explained it like this. Try to stick a nail in your finger & then a pin. Which one will penetrate easier?

Back