Portal Page

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Set up a new page for the forum - Portal Page. Some forum sites use this as a 'forced' home page that they have to see before you go to the list of forums, but don't plan to do that here. Still figuring how to get it set up how i want it, but for now it has some info down the left side that also has the last 25 posts made on all boards. The main section of the page has the last 5 threads that were started in the Jig Pics board.

Going to set it so that is the page i have bookmarked and go there 1st off when i come to the site. Will give a quick glance at what is going on without having to go through the search for new posts page. :cool:

Will also be adding a link to the Portal up by the current link listing - Search, Member List, Calendar, Help - as soon as i figure out how i get it posted on the global header template.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Should have asked when i posted this.....

Everyone here has the JigCraft site bookmarked somehow in their internet browser but where does your bookmark take you to? To the index/home of the whole site - www.jigcraft.com - and then you click through to see the forum or do you have the forum itself - www.jigcraft.com/jigcraft - bookmarked and go straight here? Mine now goes to the portal page.... must say i do like it.

Thanks in advance for your answers - just trying to get an overall view of how people use the site on a daily basis. I think some might go to the actual home page to see the showcase for each month but not many. Considering if there is anything else i could put on the home page to get more traffic there. I think alot of the new members may not even know there is any pages other than the forum until they are here for awhile. Thinking out loud i guess. :rolleyes:

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Figured out how to get a link in the header to both the home index and portal page so it should show on all the forum pages now. :) I also changed the portal page a little so it posts the 5 most recent threads started from a list of the most used boards on here.... Jig Tying, Jig Pics / Recipes, Tools & Materials, Paintshop, Plastic Pouring and Fishing Success.

Thanks for the input - and for those who have switched their bookmark over to it, let me know what you think after a few days of looking at it.

Back