PompaYes

flatsrat76

Went to the pass today and caught 1 small blacktip Mac's,whiting,trout,Ladyfish and 18 Pompano :D All on Jigs.....

100_1035.jpg

100_1036.jpg

100_1054.jpg

Flatsrat76

jiggerjohn

Flats, You seem to be working that Doc's Goofy Jig for your variety, a style I find rather fascinating! How are you working this jig for your success?

flatsrat76

jiggerjohn said:
Flats, You seem to be working that Doc's Goofy Jig for your variety, a style I find rather fascinating! How are you working this jig for your success?

Jiggerjohn
The jig is a Silly Willy, I would take a Doc's over it any day due to its poor paint job. I have been using 1/2oz and letting it hit the bottom and a sharp twitch and letting it hit bottom again in the current. The most important thing you want to do is get a puff of sand kick up when the jig hits bottom IMHO :D

Flatsrat76

Hawnjigs

KISS
1/2 oz. seems a bit large for those lil' mouths? Were you running a teaser?

Are you standing on rock or pavement?

In HI awa au'a AKA ladyfish is good eats but theres a trick to it. Since you might be tired of pompano.

"Silly Willy, you know she doesn't really, love you with a love thats true"

flatsrat76

Hawnjigs said:
1/2 oz. seems a bit large for those lil' mouths? Were you running a teaser?

Are you standing on rock or pavement?

In HI awa au'a AKA ladyfish is good eats but theres a trick to it. Since you might be tired of pompano.

"Silly Willy, you know she doesn't really, love you with a love thats true"

"Silly Willy, you know she doesn't really, love you with a love thats true" LOL That's a song right?
1/2 oz is what I toss most of the time but I will even go up to 1oz if needed. I was fishing off a jetty on the pass, Is this the ladyfish you are talking about? http://www.mexfish.com/fish/lady/lady.htm If so, I know some Asian guys that make fish balls out of them. I will never get sick of eating Pompano and catching them is kind of easy now, For being a local fish they are kind of expensive at the fish markets.

Flatsrat76

Hawnjigs

KISS
Seems like the Mexie version could be called girlyfish - the HI record is
22 lbs 3 oz. Kinda rare since the protected estuarine ecosystems the species prefers has mostly been destroyed[/b] by urban runoff. What is the FL size?

Yup, ladies are the best for balling, maybe you know someone who could give you a taste?

Anyone who recognizes those "Silly Willy" lyrics is pretty dang old.

flatsrat76

Hawnjigs said:
Seems like the Mexie version could be called girlyfish - the HI record is
22 lbs 3 oz. Kinda rare since the protected estuarine ecosystems the species prefers has mostly been destroyed[/b] by urban runoff. What is the FL size?

Yup, ladies are the best for balling, maybe you know someone who could give you a taste?

Anyone who recognizes those "Silly Willy" lyrics is pretty dang old.

Ladyfish are considered a nuisance fish in Florida but fun on light tackle. I looked up the Florida record for them and its only 6Lbs 10oz I may have to target them now because I know I have caught some over that weight:D but nothing near 22Lbs. I am at the ripe old age of 34....

Flatsrat76

Hawnjigs

KISS
My biggest lady here is around 6#, think they might be the tuffest fighters for their size. Well, you could get into the record book, tho that kinda fame might be equivelant to winning a cream soda bong guzzlefest out your way.

Your parents might have grooved on Mary Wells "The One Who Really Loves You" when they made you.

flatsrat76

Hawnjigs said:
My biggest lady here is around 6#, think they might be the tuffest fighters for their size. Well, you could get into the record book, tho that kinda fame might be equivelant to winning a cream soda bong guzzlefest out your way.

Your parents might have grooved on Mary Wells "The One Who Really Loves You" when they made you.

I don't think anybody has chased that record for the same reason you stated :p

I thinking they were grooving to The Miracles Love Machine when I was conceived :cool:

God, I think I'm going to be sick

Flatsrat76

Hawnjigs

KISS
I think you should go for the ladyfish record, despite the potential for ridicule. Guy I know holds the state Cummerson's frogfish record
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frogfish

While this record may seem a bit silly by gamefishing standards, Kahana is also a multiple member of the "100+ Club" shoreline fishing for ulua which is a really, really, really big achievement out here.

flatsrat76

Hawnjigs said:
I think you should go for the ladyfish record, despite the potential for ridicule. Guy I know holds the state Cummerson's frogfish record
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frogfish

While this record may seem a bit silly by gamefishing standards, Kahana is also a multiple member of the "100+ Club" shoreline fishing for ulua which is a really, really, really big achievement out here.

Kind of a cool looking fish, Is a Ulua in the jack family?

Back