PompaYes

flatsrat76

New member
Joined
Apr 11, 2010
Messages
285
Location
Seminole FL
Went to the pass today and caught 1 small blacktip Mac's,whiting,trout,Ladyfish and 18 Pompano :D All on Jigs.....

100_1035.jpg


100_1036.jpg


100_1054.jpg


Flatsrat76
 

jiggerjohn

Active member
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
547
Flats, You seem to be working that Doc's Goofy Jig for your variety, a style I find rather fascinating! How are you working this jig for your success?
 

flatsrat76

New member
Joined
Apr 11, 2010
Messages
285
Location
Seminole FL
jiggerjohn said:
Flats, You seem to be working that Doc's Goofy Jig for your variety, a style I find rather fascinating! How are you working this jig for your success?

Jiggerjohn
The jig is a Silly Willy, I would take a Doc's over it any day due to its poor paint job. I have been using 1/2oz and letting it hit the bottom and a sharp twitch and letting it hit bottom again in the current. The most important thing you want to do is get a puff of sand kick up when the jig hits bottom IMHO :D

Flatsrat76
 

Hawnjigs

KISS
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
4,210
Location
Ogallala, NE
1/2 oz. seems a bit large for those lil' mouths? Were you running a teaser?

Are you standing on rock or pavement?

In HI awa au'a AKA ladyfish is good eats but theres a trick to it. Since you might be tired of pompano.

"Silly Willy, you know she doesn't really, love you with a love thats true"
 

flatsrat76

New member
Joined
Apr 11, 2010
Messages
285
Location
Seminole FL
Hawnjigs said:
1/2 oz. seems a bit large for those lil' mouths? Were you running a teaser?

Are you standing on rock or pavement?

In HI awa au'a AKA ladyfish is good eats but theres a trick to it. Since you might be tired of pompano.

"Silly Willy, you know she doesn't really, love you with a love thats true"

"Silly Willy, you know she doesn't really, love you with a love thats true" LOL That's a song right?
1/2 oz is what I toss most of the time but I will even go up to 1oz if needed. I was fishing off a jetty on the pass, Is this the ladyfish you are talking about? http://www.mexfish.com/fish/lady/lady.htm If so, I know some Asian guys that make fish balls out of them. I will never get sick of eating Pompano and catching them is kind of easy now, For being a local fish they are kind of expensive at the fish markets.

Flatsrat76
 

Hawnjigs

KISS
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
4,210
Location
Ogallala, NE
Seems like the Mexie version could be called girlyfish - the HI record is
22 lbs 3 oz. Kinda rare since the protected estuarine ecosystems the species prefers has mostly been destroyed[/b] by urban runoff. What is the FL size?

Yup, ladies are the best for balling, maybe you know someone who could give you a taste?

Anyone who recognizes those "Silly Willy" lyrics is pretty dang old.
 

flatsrat76

New member
Joined
Apr 11, 2010
Messages
285
Location
Seminole FL
Hawnjigs said:
Seems like the Mexie version could be called girlyfish - the HI record is
22 lbs 3 oz. Kinda rare since the protected estuarine ecosystems the species prefers has mostly been destroyed[/b] by urban runoff. What is the FL size?

Yup, ladies are the best for balling, maybe you know someone who could give you a taste?

Anyone who recognizes those "Silly Willy" lyrics is pretty dang old.

Ladyfish are considered a nuisance fish in Florida but fun on light tackle. I looked up the Florida record for them and its only 6Lbs 10oz I may have to target them now because I know I have caught some over that weight:D but nothing near 22Lbs. I am at the ripe old age of 34....

Flatsrat76
 

Hawnjigs

KISS
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
4,210
Location
Ogallala, NE
My biggest lady here is around 6#, think they might be the tuffest fighters for their size. Well, you could get into the record book, tho that kinda fame might be equivelant to winning a cream soda bong guzzlefest out your way.

Your parents might have grooved on Mary Wells "The One Who Really Loves You" when they made you.
 

flatsrat76

New member
Joined
Apr 11, 2010
Messages
285
Location
Seminole FL
Hawnjigs said:
My biggest lady here is around 6#, think they might be the tuffest fighters for their size. Well, you could get into the record book, tho that kinda fame might be equivelant to winning a cream soda bong guzzlefest out your way.

Your parents might have grooved on Mary Wells "The One Who Really Loves You" when they made you.

I don't think anybody has chased that record for the same reason you stated :p

I thinking they were grooving to The Miracles Love Machine when I was conceived :cool:

God, I think I'm going to be sick

Flatsrat76
 

Hawnjigs

KISS
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
4,210
Location
Ogallala, NE
I think you should go for the ladyfish record, despite the potential for ridicule. Guy I know holds the state Cummerson's frogfish record
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frogfish

While this record may seem a bit silly by gamefishing standards, Kahana is also a multiple member of the "100+ Club" shoreline fishing for ulua which is a really, really, really big achievement out here.
 

flatsrat76

New member
Joined
Apr 11, 2010
Messages
285
Location
Seminole FL
Hawnjigs said:
I think you should go for the ladyfish record, despite the potential for ridicule. Guy I know holds the state Cummerson's frogfish record
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frogfish

While this record may seem a bit silly by gamefishing standards, Kahana is also a multiple member of the "100+ Club" shoreline fishing for ulua which is a really, really, really big achievement out here.

Kind of a cool looking fish, Is a Ulua in the jack family?
 
Back
Top