Polishing molds?

AllenOK

I have three sinker molds. One is for bank sinkers, the other two are for split-shot.

I know I should get the release spray that I've been reading about. I know that will definitely help with my split-shot.

Should I get my Dremel and jeweler's rouge and polish up the cavities for any of my molds? Would that help as well?

I haven't poured bank sinkers in years. I got tired of "donating rigs to the river Gods", and switched to fishing cut bait under floats for catfish, using split-shot for weight. I'm probably set for life on lead right now, as long as I keep using split-shot.

Now, if I ever take the plunge and buy some jig molds..........

toadfrog

Bro just get you a candle and blacken those cavities real good . Pour a while then hit it again with the candle . Makes a little smoother casting too .

AllenOK

Yup, had planned on that. Don't know when I'm going to pour again; I've got a lot of sinkers already done.

hookup

I'm w/ Toad - don't polish because you may end up changing the shape of the mold

toadfrog

Allen If your ever down my way say heading down hwy 28 to Grand Lake Your welcome to stop by an whip up something in the shop. Don't get in there much anymore but there is a variety of molds lead pots . Might figure out a trick or two.

Kdog

Only real reason I know of to polish a mold is to remove corrosion or various nicks and dings, if they are heavily oxidized maybe some navel jelly, followed by some flitz or simichrome metal polish but as hookup said, you may change the shape of your mold. For general cleaning, I like toothpaste and baking soda and a battery operated toothbrush. Jewelers rouge does not do well on aluminum IMO.

The bank sinker mold is least likely to be affected by damage so if you really want to try polishing one, that would be the one to try.

AllenOK

Thanks for the info everyone.

Toadfrog, I may just take you up on that after New Year's. A chance to learn from one of the masters.....

Back