Polar Bear Hair Jigs

papaperch

I have posted here before about buying old fly tying materials on ebay and other places. The other day I ran across a small hank of polar bear. Which I believe is banned now days Anyway have heard old timers that tied express how much they liked the stuff. So I tied these three to try at some later date. These are on no# 4 hooks 1/16 oz jigs.

Anyone else ever tied with polar bear ? Exposed to curing light it does have a slight glow to it. The size of the hank doesn't supply a whole lot for experimenting. Anyway will be searching for suitable substitute if they do work.

AllenOK

From what I understand, Polar Bear hair is supposed to turn translucent in the water. It might be a little more flexible than bucktail, not sure. I've never used it.

papaperch

Yep that is what the old timers constantly mentioned the translucent properties when wet. If it ever quits raining in my neck of the woods will be able to test them out.

bucktail

Appears like a fine kip tail ,would love to get my hands on some polar bear,I like the looks for sure

AllenOK

That's the problem. Finding some that's "legal". Because it's a protected species, your only sources are patches from an animal taken by someone with a permit (I think Canadian Eskimos are the only ones), or an old taxidermy mount. It's probably a good idea to carry proof that the hair in question is from one of these sources. Too much trouble for me.

duffy

I think the hair's are suppose to be hollow also. Don't know if they all are or if just the under hairs next to the skin. Something I saw on Nat Geo a long time ago.

Back