Poison tail jig

chill49

I have been tying bucktail jigs for along time but for some reason on the heads like the poison tail jig I can not keep the hair from flairing out. What am I doing wrong. Any help will be appreciated

LedHed

Sponsor
Flatten the length of the barb in a vise and file down the barbs. Loosen up on your tying pressure, a little maybe....

SaltyBuckster

There is a place on the hair of a bucktail where the hair bends really easy.If you are tying closer to the skin side it is muck thicker and with your first wrap it will flair the hair out.These are 3/4 oz. with a really short collar and when you find the right spot to cut the hair off of the tail,it is really nice.I cut all of my hair in smaller pinches righ close to the skin and then bend it with my finger to see where the good spot is.If your last wrap of thread is right on top of the collar edge it will flatten it up also.I just learned this in the last couple of weeks,lol.The flounder love them.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that the first lead barb would flair the buck tail as you tighten it down. I have never used that style of head, but the head looks like it is large enough that you could possibly fill the area between the head and first barb of the poison tail jig with tightly wrapped filler thread to have a flat surface if you do not want to file down the barbs. Hope that makes sense.

Is it with just a single color or individual tail? I have gotten a few tails that the hair seemed to flair easier than others.

Hawnjigs

KISS
With a bit of practice, it's possible to snip off the lead collars with wire cutters. Hard to describe, but I like to start at the end and spiral cut towards the head using short nips. On a bare shank, heavier thread will build up a higher base with less wraps and can be wound tighter to cinch down hair ties.

Hey AZ, those are some nice ties!

SaltyBuckster

I never thought of that.But,I have done it a thousand times.Use sidecutters and go around the head,you will feel the hook shank after going through the soft lead.Once it is loose and spins,I squeese the collar with a pair of pliarsThen snip off the edge so I can see the hook shank.Then just grab it and twist.Very good tip.

chill49

I new there was a reason for getting on this sight thanks everyone I am going to try everything until I get what works for me.
Chart. is what I have started with and quit last night when I couldn't get it to lay so thanks again to everyone

toadfrog

I use flush ground cutters to cut barbs and collars off heads . Usually can find them in any arts and crafts store sections for around 6 bucks . If you want to check the flare on buck tails I use a pair of the old fashioned eye lash curlers still sold in most stores. Pull the hair through in about a 1/4 inch dia. squeeze it . I can separate all my tails so I know which flare best and which don't .

chill49

azslabber said:
There is a place on the hair of a bucktail where the hair bends really easy.If you are tying closer to the skin side it is muck thicker and with your first wrap it will flair the hair out.These are 3/4 oz. with a really short collar and when you find the right spot to cut the hair off of the tail,it is really nice.I cut all of my hair in smaller pinches righ close to the skin and then bend it with my finger to see where the good spot is.If your last wrap of thread is right on top of the collar edge it will flatten it up also.I just learned this in the last couple of weeks,lol.The flounder love them.

Those are great looking ties thanks for the ideas

Back