Pinned eyes

SlabHappy

Well, I pinned up my pony mold and my round head mold. Came out good. Recessed a couple of the 1/16th pins to give a hammer head look. Might work, look like the minnows that get the bulge eye. My aquarium fish get from time to time.
DSC03962_zps3dab02ec.jpg
DSC03963_zps311237e5.jpg
DSC03964_zpsc0f9bc3d.jpg
DSC03965_zps1171239f.jpg

SlabHappy

CrappieHappy said:
Nice work, was it pretty easy with the drill press?

Aluminum cuts like butter. the 3/16th bit, I started using one of my inlaws, and it was bent, so it wallowed out one of the holes. I only went a little in, and filled it in with JB weld. Used the JB weld to hold them in place. The pins are a little long, and hang out the back. Put JB around the back as well.

SlabHappy

Bucko said:
nice work! still have a mold of mine I need pinned. if anyone is able to I would hire them to do it.

Shipping would probably kill you, but I'll do it. I don't have any more 3/16 pins for 4mm eyes, just have some 1/8. I was actually short 4 pins on mine. Planned to do the 1/16 pony and 1/16 round for 3mm eyes, but decided on 4mm, and ran out, so I didn't do the 1/4 Pony or one of the 1/8 round. You cover the pins and shipping, I'll do it.

CrappieHappy

SlabHappy said:
CrappieHappy said:
Nice work, was it pretty easy with the drill press?

Aluminum cuts like butter. the 3/16th bit, I started using one of my inlaws, and it was bent, so it wallowed out one of the holes. I only went a little in, and filled it in with JB weld. Used the JB weld to hold them in place. The pins are a little long, and hang out the back. Put JB around the back as well.

Thanks, I may have to look in to getting the material and finding a drill press.

LedHed

Sponsor
McMaster Carr has drill bits that are slightly under sized from fractional & metric bits. You wouldn't need a bonding agent to hold the pins. Think that's what Robert did with mine.

I think pre drilling a pilot hole before the eye hole would help reduce the wobbling... Bent bit isn't good either LOL.

Kdog

Been following this thread with interest and think you did an excellent job. You probably want to cut the pins off at the back of your mold. but that is just a suggestion.

I have a bunch of spiro drive pins but they are too big for my molds but I still think they would be perfect for doing this modification. Check these out.

http://www.spirol.com/library/sub_catalogs/sldp-Drive_Studs_us.pdf

when I find a source for them, I will probably buy 100 of each of the sizes I think I want to use
for 3mm eyes, metric size 2 looks prefect, for 4mm eyes size 2.5 looks perfect. for 5mm eyes, the size 3 will have to work. I see an advantage as these will install from the inside of the mold and not likely to get dislodged or moved after installation. Also the fit in a smaller hole so if you ever decide to undo the mod, less area to repair.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Most of my pins stick out the back side. After quite a few months I had some pin movement when the molds got hot. Just a drop of green loctite on the back side of the pin eliminated this.

Kdog those pins look serious! I'd probably be scared to use them myself. Id hate to see what happen if you pressed a pin too far and wanted to back it up.

Kdog

Ron Don said:
Most of my pins stick out the back side. After quite a few months I had some pin movement when the molds got hot. Just a drop of green loctite on the back side of the pin eliminated this.

Kdog those pins look serious! I'd probably be scared to use them myself. Id hate to see what happen if you pressed a pin too far and wanted to back it up.

you cannot press them i too far, that is the beauty of them, seated flush and the head is your eye socket!

papaperch

I think those spirol drive pins are the answer as Kdog suggested. Trouble is I can't find seller that deals in smaller quantities that we would need.

Kdog

papaperch said:
I think those spirol drive pins are the answer as Kdog suggested. Trouble is I can't find seller that deals in smaller quantities that we would need.

I think I have found a solution at this site.

http://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets-...ets-brassrivets-copperrivets-monelrivets.html

a 1/16" Flat Head Rivet has a head diameter of 0.120 - 0.140 which will readily accept a 3mm (.118) eye
a 3/32" Flat head Rivet has a head diameter of 0.180 - 0.200 which would be ideal for a 4mm (0.157) eye and could also take a 5mm (.196) eye
a 1/8" Flat head Rivet has a head diameter of 0.240 - 0.260 which would be good for a 6mm (0.157) eye but I think great for a 5mm eye.

Another rivet called a "Tinners Rivet" may work even better and provide sizes in between
6oz = 0.193 - 0.213 Head Diameter
8oz = 0.205 - 0.225 Head Diameter
10oz = 0.230 - 0.250 Head Diameter
12oz = 0.245 - 0.265 Head Diameter

The head thickness of a tinners rivet is a little less that a flat head rivet which may work better on smaller jig heads.

Bottom line is $6/hundred for steel or brass and if you really desired ~8.50/100 for SS

you can drill a blind hole or a thru hole. drive the rivet home with maybe a touch of loctite and be done.

Also if you wanted to get fancy, chuck the rivet in a drill and file to an exact size.

Back