Photo light tent

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
This was posted on another site i am on that is sorta local to my area. Some of you rod builders may know him from other sites, i know him as Steeldrifter, but he runs Midwest Custom Fly Rods. I asked him for permission to post on here and he ok'd it - this is not my idea, this is his creation. This set-up is awsome and sure beats my cardboard box with the sides cut out and paper taped over it. :blush: Plan to make me something close to this. Here is his orig post.

Well I've been meaning to build this for some time now. I was getting very tired of having to wait till daytime and always having to find a spot outside where the sun was in the right place and using different back drops and such for taking pictures of the customers rods when I got them done. So I decided to pick up about $23 worth of materials at Wally world today and build myself a photo light tent. Basically all it is is a sheet of foam core poster board that I cut to 30"x12" and then made two L-shaped brackets to mount the two pieces of board at 90 degrees. Then I made a frame work out of 5/16" dowel rod. fish mouthed the ends of the rods and epoxied them together. Then covered the framework with about a yard of thin white poly material. Right now I have two flood lights with 90 watt bulbs mounted on top, but this weekend I am going to cover each end of the box with the white material and have two more flood lights added (one at each end) so the lights are coming from not only the top but also from each end so there will be no shadows on what ever I place in the box to take photos of that way.

Here's a pic of the set up I made.......
boxcu.jpg

And here's the first pics from the box. Should get even better once I get the other two lights mounted on each end....
wrap.jpg

gript.jpg

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Fantastic! We all know that my pics are lacking. This is very do-able. Of course, a good camera would be beneficial too. Thanks for posting that AF.

CK3

Great idea!!! Being a rod builder I can appreciate what he wanted to
accomplish and he sure did! Great for flies and jigs also!

Capt_Rodney

GREAT idea I bought some pop up styles from ebay that work well however they were more expensive and yours work just as good

Bigdadyrods

I hope you didn't tell steve that you liked his idea??? His heads gonna swell to the size of a football now..sheesh!!
Known steve for quite a while and he's always coming up with different ways to take pics. He spent a bunch just on his camera. Good work.

Big D

Back