Pflueger ARBOR spinning reel

jiggerjohn

This week I received a new Pflueger wide spool ARBOR reel in the small size (8.5 0z, capacity with 4# mono-170 yds) from Cabelas. Wow, what a superb casting tool this is for jigs down to 1/32 oz(the heaviest I generally use is 1/18 oz)! And the wide spool, in addition to increasing casting distance, seems not to cause those unexpected, obnoxious loops to tangle on the spool (at least I haven't had a single one yet!). The drag is truly excellent, as witnessed by the fact that I got my largest carp ever yesterday (without a picture no one will believe me anyway, but suffice it to say that eyeballing him at my feet,prior to release, a YARDSTICK wouldn't have been nearly sufficient to get its length!!!) on a microspoon during a give-n-take 20 minute battle! The reel is a smooth working, attractive little muscle machine!!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a very nice reel indeed! I hate getting bird nests and loops when i cast so that sounds great to minimize those. Need to get me something with the wider spool, all my UL reels are fairly old and have a pretty small diameter spool. Have been reading that the larger size does help with casting a light weight lure..... also congrats on the BIG FISH!

CK3

Pflueger has began to build some really smooth reels.
I have an UL model (don't have it here, up at the lake)
that works very well. I consider myself a
Shimano guy, but also like Pinnacle and some of the newer
Pfluegers.

cadman

I will say nothing but good things about Pflueger reels. About 10 years ago, I bought 8 brand new BPS spinning reels, and I had nothing but problems with them. I returned them all after a short time and bought Pflueger Supreme reels. Those reels worked up to the day I sold them last year. I used all of those reels with my wife fishing 2-3 days a week for 6 years. Not one problem. Early this year I sold those reels and bought 8 more brand new reels. Guess what they were? Pflueger Supremes. I can't say anything bad about that company as their products so far have stood up to all of my tournament fishing trips. Hopefully you will like your Pflueger's as well.

CK3

cadman said:
I will say nothing but good things about Pflueger reels. About 10 years ago, I bought 8 brand new BPS spinning reels, and I had nothing but problems with them. I returned them all after a short time and bought Pflueger Supreme reels. Those reels worked up to the day I sold them last year. I used all of those reels with my wife fishing 2-3 days a week for 6 years. Not one problem. Early this year I sold those reels and bought 8 more brand new reels. Guess what they were? Pflueger Supremes. I can't say anything bad about that company as their products so far have stood up to all of my tournament fishing trips. Hopefully you will like your Pflueger's as well.

I buy broken rods often to use for parts when refurbishing an older
rod and 85% of them are BPS rods especially the higher module graphite.
And these are not cheap rods when bought new.

cadman

CK3 said:
I buy broken rods often to use for parts when refurbishing an older
rod and 85% of them are BPS rods especially the higher module graphite.
And these are not cheap rods when bought new.

Now on BPS fishing rods, I personally believe that they have some of the best rods for the buck. Those older Plueger Supremes, that I had were all mounted on BPS Extreme rods and those rods I still have to this day. Excellent rods. Just my opinion.

Jubs

I am too a Pflueger guy. I was just looking at the Arbor myself but I didn't buy it because I wanted something smaller. I will have to pick one up later. I just bought the President and the President XT to add to my collection of Pfluegers. I also have a Trion GX7, Maxx XT, and a fly reel not sure what the model it is (not the medalist).

I have to say the President XT is a work of art! I actually got a chance to use it some yesterday and it casts like a dream and is smooth as glass. I could actually put the handle from 1/4" from top center and it would reel itself to the bottom of the stroke with gear on the water. I had a custom rod built just for this reel and I am hoping its at the Post Office as I write this or at least should be. I spooled it with 4# Fireline and it casts like a dream.

I haven't used the President on the water yet but I don't see or feel much improvement over the cheaper Trion that would justify the extra money. The 3 more bearings are nice to hear but honestly they are on top of their game with smooth reels and even the Trion is silky smooth with the lower bearing count. The drags of Pfluegers are the best I have used period!

I am going to have to order or find an Arbor not. I will have to check the model sizes again to see if I can find one to for Steelhead fishing as that is the next reel I need to purchase.

papaperch

I like Pfleuger reels also, my first reel after I graduated from a cane pole was a Pfleuger Akron. To you younger guys that was a casting reel back in the day. As much as I like Pfleugers I prefer Okumas. Right now am using the Avion and Diablo models.

for you guys that are having line problems with the smaller spools. Take the monofilament off and use a braided line. I prefer power pro. My line problems have almost disappeared since I switched over about 4 years ago. My slip knot for sliding bobbers last all year plus almost never lose slip bobber when hung up. I tie a leader of 4 lb Gamma about two foot long to the terminal end. Using a leader makes it easier to break the leader when hung up. I am using the model size 10 and 15 on the Okumas and spools don't come any smaller than these. I have tried all types and kinds of mono but since trying power pro I only use mono as a leader now.

jiggerjohn

Papaperch, Great advice on the power pro - I spooled up the spare spool on the new Arbor reel with 5# power pro, and it cast 1/20 & 1/24 oz jigs like a dream!(tho still have not had a tangle with 4# Ande monofilament!). The combo of this limp braid and the wide diameter reel seems to be a real winner! Of course, I've used power pro for years,but usually in heavier sizes while using bigger jigs, and,yes, on my arsenal of Okuma reels!

Jubs

That is another great thing about the Arbor it has the rubber legs on the spool for braided lines. No more mono backing! Does the spare spool come with these as well?

jiggerjohn

Jubs, Yep it comes with a spare aluminum spool, so I have one with 4# ande tournament mono, and the other with 5# power pro braid -all set for the jigging season!

Back