Perch Jerker lure

papaperch

While technically not jig. Thought this might interest a few people. While doing some ice fishing research. I ran across these lure as a perch killer. Well I was going to order a few to play with this year. But I balked at the asking price and decided to make a few for myself.

They tip these with all kinda live bait. I tank tested in my minnow holding tank. The flashiness ( possibly a word ) was quite impressive I am sure they will get noticed. I am all kind of anxious to test these. But right now my local lakes look more suitable for plowing than fishing. These were made with .30 stainless wire. If these work the next ones will be made with .20 stainless. Was going to rig with coiled spring on hook end but decided to go with split ring instead.  Just used what I had laying around.

Going to rig with small slip sinker on top of jerker on leader.

Any of you think this might be a winner. Going to test these out pretty fully before ordering stuff to make a bunch of these. Few of the articles also mentioned using them in open water and having luck on other species as well.

Uncle Grump

PP

Neat....thanks for the pics - going to have to try this myself.

A long time ago - like my pre-teens, I had tackle box full of old tackle from the 40s's - 50's - there was some thing like your lures in it. Used to fish them w/ crawlers under a bobber. Caught lots of pannies - including perch on them. Had thought about those in eons.....

UG

Muskygary

Keep us up to date on your findings. I wonder if perch and panfish will hit all that wire and beads, how much attention do they pay to line color and size? Maybe grandpa's old black linen line was OK after all?

Kdog

Very similar to a walleye harness with the exception of only having a single hook. Ive tried a lot of variation including single hook and have a lot of multi species success.  If you are looking for more ideas, here is a link to a lot of pics and admittedly flops and failures.  But a good place to find outside the box ideas.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wal...6pDTAhVI34MKHSO9CdkQ_AUICSgC&biw=1366&bih=638

I use a true crawler harness and direct tie.  But when I premake my harness, I use nylon coated wire and have used straight  0.028 ss wire to make minnow harnesses with multiple blades.  you make want to look as some of the QuickChange cllevises as they making experimentation much easier and quicker. Things I have learned after much experimentation is number, size and shape of beads has a big impact. Clevis size and material also play an important role. I still remember having a rod pulled from my hand because I was watching a Willow leaf blade and seeing it ticking a faceted bead and thinking bead is too big and not really being in the mood to retie another harness when bang, something rocketed in and hit hard.  needless to say, that one got awy.   

Got serious and worked that combo for a couple hours. Caught a lot of fish, ranging from Blue gill to a hammer handle muskie. Played with that combo for several weeks and found that a variable retrieve good speed, blade woyld spin but slow down and blade would tick the bead.  4 - 5 feeet of ticking really got attention. Could never get it to work in deeper water over 12 feet which is where I do most of my fishing. But when Walleye are shallow, it works wonders. Last fall played with combination of floating  and solid beads to get a suspeding version had some succes, but it could not compete with cranks, so I quit playing with it.

Hobby stores are a good place for beads for experimentation. Lots of materials, Glass, Plastic, Solid metal, hollow metal, round, oval, faceted. Endless combinations. Have fun....

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
They look good. Those perch sure do love the bling some days. Other days i have put a hurting on my Dad when i opted for a plain jane drop shot with a single hook and no bling. I'm sure you know how that goes though. Love the gold variation with the perch eye jig at the bottom.

Not sure if it will help your action using these vert. fishing, but i have found that if i put any bead at all on the top side of a spinner clevis, the push seems to impede the rotation on the spinner. Same goes if the bead behind the clevis is too big. I wonder if you could put a slight kink in the wire just in front of the clevis so the next bead does not push against the top of it and slow the rotation. Might get a lot more spin out of your spinners when they are moving. I do know they don't always need to spin though, just the flutter/flash should get the attention you need to draw them in.

papaperch

Since they are primarily an ice lure. The vertical jigging is the mode most often used.I put a bead inside the clevis to negate any compression. Just slightly lifting in minnow tank causes all kind of flash. Several people that used these also commented on effectiveness in open water. However since they are selling them at 4.95 each. No great trick to stage catches for camera still shot pic.

One instance I can see using them. Still fishing using my spot lock function on electric trolling motor. When motor cycles on and off to hold position if I deadstick one the movement of boat should cause these things to flash. As we all know walleyes are suckers for movement. That is why trolling and casting for them works so well. Several users ( sellers ? ) commented on their effectiveness on walleyes.

Since I am not selling these everyone can expect a factual report on their effectiveness. But if it is still snowing in July here might have to wait for ice again LOL

Back