PB channel catfish

Shoemoo

Caught this brute on a piece of cut bait under a bobber at my favorite reservoir last night. I was mainly fishing for perch and they were biting too light and fast to handle more than one rod. If you didn't have the rod in your hand you'd miss them.

I have a two-pole permit, so I put a big chunk of squawfish on a 4/0 circle hook and let it drift around while I fished for the perch on the bottom. Every now and then the bobber would go under for a second then pop back up again. I figured it was crawdads or perch towing the bait around. Then it went under and I knew this bite was different when I saw the glow stick on the bobber speed off below the surface like it had been shot from a cannon. When the line tightened up and the circle hook did its thing, the fight was on. I didn't have anyone to net him, so I had to haul him up on the bank. I knew it was a big boy, but I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw how big.

Measures 33" and tips the scales at 20 pounds. That smaller cat in the last pic is a 6.5 pounder I caught later using the same technique.

IMAG0397.jpg

IMAG0396.jpg

Shoemoo

I just wish they bit on jigs more often. I do catch them occasionally when fishing for crappie, but bait is definitely more effective.

Back