PB bass to date

cadman

I was out fishing with a friend 2 weeks ago on a small 30 acre lake. Weather was sunny, cold and windy and the water temp was 46 degrees. I got 4 fish that day (2) 16" fish, (1) 18" fish and my personal best to date a 5.1 lb largemouth. Caught on my own jig an ultimate 1/4 oz red/black poison tail jig with a tequila trailer. Twas a good day to start off the season.

cadman

Thanks for the reply guys.

Hawn, I normally don't fish a Poison Tail, due to what I hear about the EWG style of hook. However on this first day of the year, I was determined to try something different, so I tried the Poison tail in red and black and that was the ticket for the day and was surprised on how well the hook held the fish with no missed hook-ups. Also I only use 15 strand weedguards. I do not like heavy weedguards. I use the weedguard not to keep weeds away, but to keep the fish from throwing the hook. I cut my guards at an angle, with the longest strand just at the hook point. This in my opinion, gives the fish an easy way to compress the guard , and when she is hookd, the hook is thru the mouth, and the weedguard is there to dig into the inside of the mouth to keep the hook from backing out. This is how I envision it. I don't know if that is what actually happens, but I cut all my weedgurds that way for the jigs that I fish. I have never had problems setting hooks and holding fish.

Hawnjigs

KISS
I don't bass fish much, and my few experiences with weedguard jigs were noteable for an appalling # of missed hooksets. If I'm ever in a situation where cover bass are the primary opp I'll remember your trimmed down lighter weedguard suggestion. Thinking about it, a weedguard buffering hook play could indeed lessen the chance of a throw.

cadman

smalljaw said:
that is fat!!!! Nice job!!

Smalljaw,
Me or the fish LOL. I had so many layers on I almost couldn't move. The picture looks sunny and warm but it was sunny but really cold. It seemed the water was warmer than the air. Yes it was an exceellent first day on the water.

Back