Palmer 553

waynesburgjay

Dug out the old Palmer mold I have, sanded it up a little, still needs a little work on the hinge pin but it will do for now. Last time I used it I got a lot of flash.

null_zps8ad1582e.jpg

null_zpsfbe2d516.jpg

LedHed

Sponsor
Those older type molds are infamous for not aligning or laying flat. You might have to oversize the hinge - if you have enough material. Close the mold, hold it over a light, look down the "seam". You will see the areas to sand down to even the surfaces. Also might have to do some sanding on the aligning pins and recesses.

Looks like that mold had some light work done already....

redman

Jay something to think about would be to take a fine cut Bastard File and draw it along the high points. You can use carbon paper to detect the high spots. fold over a sheet of carbon paper so the carbon side is on both sides and close the mold shapely a couple of times and the High spots will be marked by the blue carbon of the paper. Put the mold in a vice and draw the file a cross the high spots. At some point there will be no space in between the faces and the flash will be very minimal. BTW draw the file cross ways flat a cross the face of the mold. Been there done that.

Redman

Back