Painting some MORE of Plateboater's Pillheads...

AllenOK

I kidnapped myself today, and took some of my of my fishing gear with me. First time out in several weeks. I went out below Keystone Dam here in Oklahoma. They're still releasing water through the floodgates. The place was PACKED!! Weekend, go figure. A few people fishing cut bait for cats had some small, barely-eating-size cats on stringers. One gent was using a large jig with a chartreuse Sassy Shad under a large float with his surf rod. He had quite a few decent White Bass on his stringer. Another gent was using live minnows/shiners under a float, and catching about the same number of White Bass on his stringer.

Since I had completely removed ALL fishing gear from my vehicle in the past couple of weeks, and just put in a few rods, and my tackle bag with my Crappie jig box, Spinner/Jig box for Bass, and my production fly/jig box, I wasn't prepared to make a quick run to a bait shop for some minnows. I decided to use the jigs I had with me. I tried using most of the jigs I had that resembled minnows, all with no luck. I realized that most of the jigs I had weren't heavy enough to sink in this current (1/16).

I do have a supply of Plateboater's pillheads in 1/16 and 1/8. I started thinking of a paint scheme and patterns while I was fishing. I can't help it. I'm always thinking about ways to improve.

Anyway, here's the paint scheme I came up with:

View attachment 7

White Pearl base coat, Red PP tapped on the bottom-rear for gills, homemade Grey PP tapped over the top (not really visible in this pic), then a Clear/Chartreuse Glitter mix tapped over the main head.

Hopefully tonight/tomorrow I'll get some jigs tied up. Pics to follow, and maybe, a fishing report!

Attachments

• 20150809Jigheads.JPG
    20150809Jigheads.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 56

hookup

That's a good color pattern on the 'right' coast too for both brackish & fresh water

Back