Painting popper bugs

luremaker

Hey all, went to tie up some hard foam popper bugs this morning. Didn't want to break out the airbrush and cratex so decided to use sharpie markers instead. Everything was going well. Then, I decided to put on a clear coat of sally Hansen's clear. Smeared everthing right up.

Am I just going to have to break out the airbrush? Or just use the sharpie and not put on a clear coat? Clear coats make them shine more IMHO.

Thanks

Kdog

may need more drying time before using the sallys. A friend does a lot of sketches with sharpies and always finishes them with hair spray (read as lacquer) but its a very fine coat. some of his designs eventually get glued to motorcyle tanks then clear coated,

luremaker

Thanks for the quick response Kdog. Yeah, I wondered if the dry time might have something to do with it? I'll be playing more with this today as time allows in between customers at the store. I'll post pics when I get some tied up.

Thanks

HairyMooseKnuckles

Had a similiar problem. I could get the markers to completely dry. You might start wiping the foam down with alcohol before painting with sharpy. That's what one of the guys recommended to me. I haven't made any more lately, but I'm going to try that next time.

LedHed

Sponsor
Think Sally's diamond shine is supposed to go over anything without lifting it.

Color preserver, used for rod wrapping, or watered down Elmer's.....

luremaker

41031464763a6875199919e6b3bf59e3.jpg

plateboater

Fantastic........well done. Let's see the RnD with those bad boys! How long does it take per each popper for you to make?

luremaker

Start to finish probably 20 minute per. But, it would be quicker if I did them in bigger batches per color. These were just for myself and I had to change threads, dig out different materials, etc. Took longer that way.

If I start selling these things I'll be setting up to do them in batches and use an airbrush and finish the heads in epoxy. They are fun to make but not much different than a regular jig.

Someday I'll try my hand at real fly tying like nymphs, midges, etc. I will be tying some hoppers soon. I think I can really get into the fish on a small conservation lake locally that sees lots of fishing pressure from conventional tackle. Flies should tear them up! But, it'll be summer time before the grasshoppers are out so I won't know until then.

Thanks for the comments.

AllenOK

Luremaker, get on youtube and run a search for "GFA Foam Hopper". Very easy pattern to tie. I started tying those a couple years ago, using a size 8 dry fly hook. Caught all sorts of stuff on it. I've since started tying them smaller, on size 14 curved-shank hooks. I think the curved-shank hook is a better hook for this than a straight shank.

I also like to tie the "Gurgle-Pop" pattern from FAOL. That one is basically a fly version of a Pop-R topwater. I've caught a lot of LMBs and Bluegills on that one.

HairyMooseKnuckles

AllenOK said:
Luremaker, get on youtube and run a search for "GFA Foam Hopper". Very easy pattern to tie. I started tying those a couple years ago, using a size 8 dry fly hook. Caught all sorts of stuff on it. I've since started tying them smaller, on size 14 curved-shank hooks. I think the curved-shank hook is a better hook for this than a straight shank.

I also like to tie the "Gurgle-Pop" pattern from FAOL. That one is basically a fly version of a Pop-R topwater. I've caught a lot of LMBs and Bluegills on that one.

I saw your post last night and went straight to YouTube. Thank you! I'll be tying that one. The only deer hair I have is red/black at the moment, but I can come up with something.

hhawkins

I got a tip from a fly tyer while I was a the Sowbug Roundup a few weeks ago. He had the same problem that you and I had about the paint smearing on the popper head. The man used water based acrylic paint and I told the man that I used Sharpie markers. He said don't use the brush in the Sally's Hard as Nails, but to load the brush with the polish and coat the popper head with just the polish not the brush fibers. See the brush fibers are smearing the paint, but using just the polish loaded up on the brush doesn't smear the paint. I hope I explained that so where it is understandable.

Back