Painting eye

dblevens

Any you fellas ever paint on your eyes if the jighead has a socket for a 3d eye? How did ya do it? And do ya have any pics?

CrappieHappy

I have done a few with paint and used a drill bill end to leave the impression on the jighead, let that dry then use a smaller drill bit with a different color to do the pupil. I dont think i have a pic, but will look through my photos. I know a couple of people have done powder paint eyes.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I have done it couple ways.

Lately i have been using powder paint tapped through a small hole in an alum. plate then re-heat the head. End result looks decent but has been a steep learning curve to get it consistent after curing. If you cure at too high a temp OR use too much powder on the entire head.......... the eye tends to slide/drip out of the socket. :dodgy: It works best using minimal paint on the head and just using a single color eye.

A different way i tried a while ago, i had painted the pupil with fingernail polish and then went back and placed a bubble of 2-part epoxy in the socket and let dry. It turned out looking really cool, very much like a clear eye with the pupil floating inside. Did have trouble with some of them getting a foggy look though after use and storage.

Wonder if you could paint a pupil then put a drop of the UV Cure Goo - or whatever its called - over top to seal it? No experience with the Goo stuff.... just thinking out loud.

toadfrog

View attachment 5 This is how I do painted eyes . I have all sizes of pins , hat pin ect . When you put the Iris and pupil on after they are dry put a drop of clear on to get the 3D effect . Moat effective wat to make nearly perfect eyes .

Attachments

• easy dots and eyes.jpg
    easy dots and eyes.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 39

JUNGLEJIM1

I do mine similar to tf but use different size nail heads instead of the pin. Another method I use is acrylic paint pens that I buy from Hobby Lobby. First method is done with vinyl jig paint that will give you a headache after awhile. Second method there is very little smell,no headache.I use method #2 more than #1.

Back