paint

HairyMooseKnuckles

Thinking about getting some powder paint. Do you guys still mix your own custom colors? I've read through the recipe book, but was just wondering. Are some colors harder to use and get right? Are there other options for curing besides baking?

Bucko

I think most of us here mix a lot of our own colors and it's quite fun. One thing you need to do if you plan on buying bulk paint is to buy a pound or two of clear along with your order. Some paints are really heavy and dark so I use clear to lighten them up. As for curing, baking them is the only way. Just make sure you write down the recipes of your custom colors so you can replicate it again.

I should add that there is nothing wrong with buying powder from CS coatings, it's good stuff. Buying in bulk just lets you tweak it and in the long run it is cheaper.

Oh, one more thing. DO NOT USE BABY FOOD JARS TO STORE YOUR PAINT! you'll never get the lid off without a large vise grips.

Kdog

Bucko is giving good advice. Get lots of clear and watch for it to go on sale and buy a couple extra pounds. I mix and store mine in my gluid bed cups as well as plastic jars. Some mixes especially those containing glitter are best shaken and dipped. I've bought some premixed colors but mostly mix my own.

Word of advice if mixing your own, buy/steal or otherwise procure some 1/8 and 1/4 tsp measureing spoons. A little goes a long way and it is very easy to overfill your container before getting the color the way you want it.

Also, a stack of 3x5 cards for keeping track of your mixtures. I pre number my cards, nn-001, nn-002, nn-003 etc. I leave a line for a color name although that often eludes me. The following lines are used for tracking my additions. First line is always clear and I start with 16 parts (1/8tsps) then go from there. Since I make my own PC cups, I use a sharpie and write the # and description on the outside of the cup and make a color sample which is glued on right beside the description. I use some spinner blades and PC for my sample. (BTW it helps to precoat them white and cure those shiny glades make the color look great but jig heads somehow never turn out the same.)

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Think the only way to cure is to use a toaster oven or regular oven. But a toaster oven is pretty darn cheap. ;)

Mixing colors is fun, but not necessary. Tell that to my 30+ jars of mixed paint on my shelf. ha! I do use a lot of clear for glitter mixes as well as the candy color. The candy color or transparent colors allow you to add glitters and let them really shine. The clear glitter mixes let you add glitter or flake to any base color.

There are a few colors that do not coat quite the same as others. White, Pearl and Yellow Chart seem to be the ones that are the thickest powder and takes xtra dips at time to completely cover. ALWAYS mix up EVERY color you use before you dip. It makes a big difference. I tap all of my clear/glitter mixes...... except for my mica/clear mix. But that is not quite glitter.

I can almost guarantee you will enjoy it!

Back