Owner jig hooks vs matzuo jig hooks

toadfrog

As far as I'm concerned being the cheap skate I am . Both hook companies can just stick it literally . The price is outrageous .

Pup

quality,strength and everything in between

My perspective on hooks depends on what I'm fishing for and also the how and where.

For instance, I use lighter wire hooks when stream fishing for bass and panfish. To me, its worthwhile to have a hook that bends out easily and can be formed back into shape. Round bend Aberdeens serve that purpose. An occasional carp or catfish may bend out my hook, but I really don't care about it.

On a lake, again, I generally don't worry about hook strength as most of the fish I catch aren't large enough to bend out or break most hooks. I'm fishing for bass and panfish where the largest bass may be around 7 pounds at maximum. From a boat, most of my "hung up" hooks are retrieved by my rod tip. I don't lose my jig or break its hook, so thicker, stronger hooks are acceptable to me.

I've caught steelhead when using Aberdeen hooks. Granted they were smallish (7-9 pounders). Though, I still think that hook strength is often overly emphasized in many discussions.

Used Owner worm hooks for a while back in the '90s. Very sharp hooks with a cutting point. Expensive too. I did not really like them due to the large holes that were created in the mouths of hooked bass. I speculated that these large holes sometimes resulted in bass coming unbuttoned at the boat.

Just getting into black nickel sickles (Matzuo). I like their sharpness. Still, I plan to use them principally in lakes when fishing from a boat. They seem brittle to me as though they would break when bent out. That's no good to me when wading a stream or when shoreline angling on any body of water. I rely on braided line or strong mono/copolymer to bend a jig's hook out to get it back to me. I do plan to use them to tie hair jigs for bass and crappie.

JUNGLEJIM1

For the price sickles are hard to beat. If you want the sharpest hook and you don't mind spending 10x the amount of sickles than Owner's are a great choice. I use the sickles a lot for panfish and trout from a #12 to a #1. When bass fishing jigs using a 1/0 or larger I like Owner's. A good substitute for Owner's at less than half the price is the Mustad #32746 Ultra Point,really like this hook.

Jig Man

I'm sorta like Pup, I'm just as happy with an Aberdeen as I am with a sickle. The sickles are way sharper, but an aberdeen will last me longer. Just ask wtex about broken hooks:D Most of the jig heads available from the men around here are sickle so that what I'm using now. And these guys have some really cool molds! And I can't say which hook I catch more fish on. It has more to do with crown!!! ;)

hookup

I tend to choose quality over quantity.

I do not want a hook to bend or break when I have a trophy fish on the line.

Also, I have an adversion to rust.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Altho I inventory 4 sizes of Owner 5313 for orders, I've never actually used one. Top of the line point quality and wire strength, but too expensive for my taste.

Got lots of Gamakatsu too, but only tried 604 #2, which I admit works excellent, tho the long narrow point taper folds almost as EZly as Sickles.

Light wire Sickles work fine for panfish, but higher stress apps are better served with heavier wire hooks. As I've posted previously, my choice is Mustad 32833, both for fold resistant points and brute wire strength.

Fatman

If cost wasn't a factor I'd take the Owners. The quality control of the Matzuo sickle hooks leaves alot to be desired. but as far as panfish goes I'll take the sickles. It's a pain dry fitting them in the mold to make sure they fit before I do a casting session but it does save time.

I have about 500 red sickles left and when they're gone I doubt I'll buy any more - don't know much about the Black sickles so I can't say much about them. I have no problems using Mustads or Eagle Claws or VMC's, and never had to fit them they just go right in the molds.

If you register for the Capt Hooks email specials you'll get a listing of hooks on sale or deep discounted, and this isn't just for jig hooks.

cadman

I don't fish panfish so I can't comment on sickles. But the panfish guys buy sickles from me. However I do sell a lot of bass jigs and the bread and butter hooks are Mustad BLN hooks. Affordable and sharp. I do have my guys that only buy Owner,Gami's and now Trokar, however they are too pricey. I catch just as many with the Mustads. A new breed of Eagle Claw hooks the Black Pearl hit the market at the beginning of the year, and they are giving Mustad a run for their money. Just so you know these aren't your grandpas Eagle Claw that used to rust in the metal tackleboxes. These are new re-engineered hooks. If I gave you a Mustad and a new Eagle Claw you couldn't tell the difference. They are very sharp and the black pearl finish makes them rust proof. Plus they are made in the U.S.A and are less costly than the Mustads.

Fatman

Cad

I saw the thread over at TU on the new EC hook, do you have a model number on it?? I'll look at Capt Hooks but I'm not sure of the number.

Less cost is a good thing too. Hopefully they have them in smaller sizes.

cadman

Doug,
Most of the new hooks are for bass jigs and spinnerbaits but here are the numbers. The "L" stands for Laser series. Also the numbers cross reference Mustad numbers.
L145, L253, L255,L95XBL, L97BP, L570BP, L111BP, L730BP, L2706, L2724, L2729, L2798, L2831, L3886 and L786BP. The only number that looks like it would fit most crappie and jig molds is L570BP (aberdeen hook). It comes in #10 through 4/0. Hope this helps some. I have been using some of their hooks and I like them.

hookup

Trokars finally found my breaking point. Bought them once on sale, but never again.

I fish a fluke allot and only use Daiichi x-Points. They are expensive, but unlike others, I do not complain about a problem with hookup to catch ratios.

Fatman

Thanks Cad

On Capt Hooks there listed as EL570BP Black Platinum - I'm assuming these are the same hooks??? as an L series??

I have some of the old stock Mustad, Eagle Claws and VMC's and have never had any of the problems that others talk about with them. They've always served me well but that new one looks good!! And at $22.05 a 1000 that ain't bad!!!

cadman

Fatman said:
Thanks Cad

On Capt Hooks there listed as EL570BP Black Platinum - I'm assuming these are the same hooks??? as an L series??

I have some of the old stock Mustad, Eagle Claws and VMC's and have never had any of the problems that others talk about with them. They've always served me well but that new one looks good!! And at $22.05 a 1000 that ain't bad!!!

Doug,
I questioned that as well. The EL570BP is the same as Shorty's L570BP. The "E" before the rest of the number on Cap'n Hooks number stands for Eagle Claw. As far as quality over the years I have never had an issue with Eagle Claw hooks either. I do know that if you leave an Eagle Claw bronze hook wet, it will eventually start rusting. However I always let my jigs dry after a day of fishing. Many guys to this day in the bass jig world do not and will not buy jigs with Eagle Claw hooks. I believe this will change, as Trokar is made by Eagle Claw and the new series I think will bring guys back.

Back