Over-Under Rabbits

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Not a true double bunny fly, but they have been catching me fish this week! With the river i fish being as clear as it is right now, i have been sticking with some pretty simple colors. The white ones have been doing the best by far. Quick strips of line to keep the fly moving.

Hook: 4 to 1 aberdeen with eye bent slightly to keep hook point up and out of the rocks.
Eyes: 1/60 & 1/80 barbell lead
Body: Crystal chenille
Tail and top/bottom: Rabbit zonkers

101_1618_e.jpg

Here is the results: River Smallies

Question....... If anyone on here uses the barbell (hourglass) lead eyes, how do you lash them to the hook? I have a hard time keeping them from slipping around the hook shank. Wondering if i should put down a thick yarn base first? Or something else??? I 'figure eight' all over the eyes and then glue them down, but when uhooking a fish, they always seem to rotate around the hook shank. :(

Try a good thread base. Then make a thread dam on each side where you want the eye to be. Then you can set the eye between the two mounds. Do a couple of figure 8 then dab a little superglue on the top and bottom. Wrap some more 8's into the glue to seal it tight. I also like to do some some on each side of the 8's to pull it tighter if that makes sense. Circle behind each eye parallel the hook then cross over to the other side. Here is a picture of my Yellow Bird Meta-Crappie that you can kinda see the different wraps.

Yellow%20Bird%20Meta-Crappie%20Bottom%20View.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info Fish Candy!!! Gave it a try and it worked nicely. Pretty much made a groove like your dams for the eyes to sit in made of thread and made sure it was tight and glued down good. Tied in the eyes and they hardly moved when i tried to spin them. Tied a few up and didn't even use glue to finish them... they were TIGHT!!! Thanks!!!!! :)

LedHed said:
Awesome ties AF & FCBC - gr8 tip

FCBC - have a side pic of your tie?

I don't have a close up of the actual thread work but here is a side view.
Yellow%20Bird%20Meta-Crappie%20Side%20View.jpg

Here is another color I have as an example of what you can do with this pattern. Even switching out the wire wrap colors or silicone skirt "legs" can make it look different.

Camo%20Meta-Crappie%20Side%20View.jpg

Back