Our freeway bridge (I-5) over skagit river just fell in water!

goodtimesfishing

Breaking news here in washington. The freeway bridge(interstate 5) that crosses the skagit river, just fell in the water!! Don't know many details yet but OMG! I sure hope everyone is ok. This is a very cold river that flows like 18,000cfs.
View attachment 2

Attachments

• 052313bridgecollapse1.jpg
    052313bridgecollapse1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 95

goodtimesfishing

ya! That pic is actually before rescue crews and news crew got there. Major scene now with lots of boats hover craft and rescue crews. This just happened I guess it has been just over an hour now.

goodtimesfishing

They are saying no fatalities.
No major injuries, everyone is in stable condition, mainly being treated for hypothermia(the water is 45 degrees right now). As busy as that part of the freeway is, it is hard to believe more cars didn't end up in the river. It sounds like it was one of those slow motion things that allowed cars coming up on it to see what was happening and come to a stop. While cars that where on the bridge could make it off before dropping in river. At this time they are saying only 4 cars went in the water.
Thank god it was not worse.

Shoemoo

Glad no one was seriously hurt, but that's gonna make the commute suck for a lot of people until they get the bridge repaired.

Uncle Grump

Nasty....

I-35 in Minneapolis was much worse - there was assistance from above for no one to have been killed.....

UG

Back