Organizing Hooks

Kdog

For years, I pretty much used 3 jig sizes 1/32, 1/16. 1/24. This season, with everything being so much different, I find myself trying new and unusual things. Most notably, is the addition of 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 and 5/16 ounce jigs to the mix. Casting them is quite cumbersome as i am used to casting one size, one hook size etc etc. Usually, I dump a box of hooks on a baking sheet, sort out a decent pile and start casting. This year, casting 3 - 6 sizes at the same time my baking sheet technique takes up way too much space.

Ive tried a lot of things and each shows promise but each has distinct  disadvantages.  My current is a wire rack which when set up allows me room for 6 or more different hooks all neatly organized but is still cumbersome so I am reaching out and asking how everyone keeps multiple hook sizes organized during casting. I am toying the the idea of a lazy susan but hope someone has a better solution.

Lets hear it all y'all

duffy

I have mine in a plano box and dig them out and lay a few on the furnace before I load the mold to pre-heat them. Not efficient and really slow with lot's of tangles. I haven't done it yet but was thinking of using some of that flexible inch wide magnetic strip and putting it on a board or in your case could just stick it on a cookie sheet. Could line up hooks by size on each strip and go from there. Still would take time to load them up but maybe I wouldn't be picking so many up off the floor. I don't do a lot at a time but it's still time consuming getting them untangled and in the mold before it cools down.

toadfrog

Get some old speaker magnets . They will stick in the four corners of your cookie sheet and hold in place about as many hooks as you want .

Back