Ole Silversides,Again !!

SaltyBuckster

Got an order of hooks last month from Captain Hooks Wharehouse and they threw in a sample pack of these long shanked 2/0's.Looked to be a perfect fit for the 1/2 oz. Ultra minnow mold.So,here's a couple of "silversides" minnows.I made 5 as that is how many hooks were in the pack.We throw the cast net when we see them,they don't stay alive very long.The top bait is a silversides.I was trying to make it EXACT.
DSC00011.jpg
And here is mine:

Attachments

• DSC00106.JPG
    DSC00106.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00107.JPG
    DSC00107.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 57

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent copy-cat. A fish seeing that bright shiny flash in front of them should inhale!

If you want to get picky* with the 'match-the-hatch' mantra....... i like the top one of your jigs better. If you look at the baitfish picture i would say it only has 1/3 dark at the top - the bright silver line - then 2/3 of the lower half is the other silver. More light than dark. ;)
* picky: i most likely look more closely than the fish :)

SaltyBuckster

Thanks Russ.I to like the top one better.The bottom one was the first that I did.I have three left to do.I'm going to paint the top of them olive like the tail.How do you like that white bucktail,I tanned them myself from last years deer season.Has hair almost 7" long and very soft.I have 10 of them.

SaltyBuckster

Here's a trick that Attica put up.I've been dieing to do the two tone chenille,so this is my first attempt.

Attachments

• DSC00108.JPG
    DSC00108.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 34

Hawnjigs

KISS
As close as a tie can get, and interesting how you adjusted the amount of body material to the girth of the baitfish.

Out here, I've been in leaping baitfish boils where no lure would get bit. And, we've got some a** whup vegie game fish that will eat bread. We throw out a bunch of pieces for chum along with our hooked piece and the anenue and palani would boil the floating bread like piranhas. Most times after the commotion ends, any bread attached to hook & line would be untouched. Then the real smart ones will tail slap the bread off the hook

Yes, LedHed, they might bite 2# line a lot easier, if you don't mind a whupping.

SaltyBuckster

Thanks Hawn.Funny how when we get something right,it is never good enough for us all.No matter how many fish we catch with it,we can always make it better.Now,since I'm not just doing thread necks bodies,whatever,my tutone chenille has to be better.Here's the next one with an almost perfect tutone chenille body.I hope that it catches fish like I think it will.I just don't like the thread between the jighead and the chenille now,lol.

Attachments

• DSC00109.JPG
    DSC00109.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 31

SaltyBuckster

Thanks guys.I just love them,lol.My sister asked if I was taking them down to the Flea Market to sell them,I said Heck No !!lol

Back