OLDER JIG MOLDS QUESTION

shredmandan

Hello - my first post here and I have a question. I used to cast lots of different sinker and jig molds and have gotten rid of most of my molds. I just decided to start casting a few again and have acquired a few molds (probably jumped the gun a bit). I bought these off Ebay I thought at a reasonable price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251577076088

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Palmer-Mfg-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

After doing some research it looks like these older molds may leave a lot of flashing that needs to be trimmed? Is there a way to do any tweaking of these molds to eliminate or minimize thi flashing?

Appreciate the help!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Wow, you must be a real old timer to be considering those dinosaurs. I realize you already paid good $ for the molds but I would suggest getting rid of em and sticking with Do-it for many reasons including lack of heat protective handles and possible sloppy flashed pours. Sometimes, rarely, I shave mold faces slightly for a flusher join with flat EZ Laps but in my experience the hinging of off brand cast molds like Palmer was too sloppy to make that worthwhile. Of course, most any mold can make functional castings, but for the reasonable price of Do-its IMO its not worth the aggravation of dealing with molds with issues. There appears to be a recent glut of JR series ball collar roundhead molds on eBay and I can let go my nearly new 6 & 8 oz. Do-it bank sinker mold for $20 shipped.

redman

Have to agree with Hawn sell them to some one else and get the Do-It's. I think in the end you will be much happier and it will be much safer for you. Those look like a accident waiting to happen. Sorry buddy but that is just my opinion. They are good for a collection I have some in mine but as far as pouring some better to be safe than sorry.

Redman

Kdog

Make sure your faces are clean and flat, maybe lap them on a flat plate with 600 or 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

Cast a few and see what needs to be done, The larger mold you may have flash no matter what you do. If it were mine, I would use a quick grip clamp to hold it together and provide me a handle. Pouring the 8 ounce and 4 ounce may be a challenge for your melting pot. However, it is a sinker so clean up is not bad, you do not need them to be perfect just free of sharp edges.

The Palmer mold is a hit or miss. If it is in good shape it will cast OK jigs but will probably need a bit of file work to make them nice.

Fatman

Try pouring the ball heads it does have a great collar for bucktails and craft hair. An old knife can trim them up quick and if it's real bad get a do it mold. The bank sinkers x2 buff the surfaces and get a clamp and pour it. I have two old palmer molds a bank sinker and a flat sinker - an old knife will trim any flash right off.

Bank and Flat sinker molds
100_1528.jpg

100_1530.jpg

Back