Old school molds

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Wondered the same thing as crappiecrippler.... are there any that you use on a regular basis? last 2 pics look like bulky equipment compared to some of the 'new age' stuff. don't make things like they used to. ;)

JSC

LH
You can spot those PA custom molds a mile away ... My choice by far.
What if PA had a CNC machine back in those days ...

Thanx for the Pics

JSC

JSC

Hawnjigs said:
Like others have said, eBay used to be fun.

The skill required to cut customs manually is mind boggling.

HJ
Those custom molds by PA were made by pressing a steel model into the alum block ... I would send paul a sample in balsa wood and he would cut a steel model from it and then press it ... A real Craftsman .. his cast molds were .. cast. :rolleyes:

JSC
:jig:

LedHed

Sponsor
CCJ/AF
Don’t pour with the vintage molds (unless they have been worked) except for the PAs. A majority of the older molds don’t align properly – too much flashing.

HJ
No CNC for PA!!! – The guy was phenomenal. You can still pick one up on ebay every once in awhile. BM got me 5 last month – glad hardly anybody knows what they are.

Unfortunately JSC there aren’t a lot of people around now days that can really appreciate the craftsmanship of Paul Ament, a true artist. You are truly fortunate to have had the pleasure to do business with him – am envious.

Hawnjigs

KISS
I never knew about Paul Ament customs. Tried one of his cast molds - not up to Do-it standards.

By your comments he appears to have passed on - my hat off to a skilled craftsman and his legacy.

I can't believe casters chose Palmers over Do-its. I poured a Palmer - once.

JSC

"By your comments he appears to have passed on - my hat off to a skilled craftsman and his legacy."

Yes .. was in the early 70's .. he came by to see me just before he passed away and I missed seeing him as I was on the road at the time .. No one was at home at the time (my Wife was a school teacher) and he left me a note in the mail box that he had been by ... Really hate having missed his visit. He was really good with the custom stuff and his "Production Molds" were top notch ... His cast jig molds were OK but no they were not "Do It" .. Now he did MANY cast molds for me for Plastic work ... both 1 pc and 2 pc and they were excellent .. the ones for Plastic in 2 pc were cast and were percision ... he made a lot of molds for the The Fishing Tackle Industry ... Tom Mann and I had quite a few talks about Paul and his work ... Tom M. had access to a machine shop and had been a machinest .. he made his models for his Jelly Worms and Sting Rays this way ... I do not know who made the Molds for Tom when he went to the automated injection route.

Paul Was A Real Craftsman

JSC

Back