OLD DOG LEARNS NEW TRICK

papaperch

:cool: Was out enjoying a sunny day in the boat yesterday. We tried jigs , vibes and chubbies along with minners and worms. Did not have a hit UNTIL I put a leech on underneath a slip bobber. I had these in mind ( leeches ) for walleye if everything else proved reluctant.

I tossed the first leech out and the bobber disappeared so fast I thought I had too big of split shot on. I set the hook and nothing promptly lost three straight in a row until I boated a fat 10" + perch.

I was using my Vexilar to confirm we were over fish and we proceeded to boat 15 perch like the first one and 2 channel cats. The wind sprung up and caused us to shift from our spot. We had caught the fish in the old river channel. We were ( according to hotspotmap ) right on the inside turn of an S bend with stumps.

Until yesterday I had never used leeches for perch lesson # 1. Location shouted crappie but we never caught one lesson # 2. Going to go back tommorow with two anchors so I can sit in the spot regardless of wind. While I didn't catch every one on a leech that is what got them started. Caught a few on minners and worms also. Water depth varied from 13 1/2 foot to 15 foot as wind moved us a little at first. Later in the day it was too strong to stay still so we gave up.

Back