Ok what's going on with Do-it jig molds?

slammingjack

• 0 warning points
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Posted Today, 09:08 PM
I got two new molds from Barlow's in today the minnow head jme-7-a1 and the jrs-7-48. First thing I see is there is no post in the hook eye for the hook to set on. Both molds are like that. Seems to me the hook will flop around more and cause more  bad pours. The jrs-7-48 is a heavy hook 4 1/8 oz. and 3 1/4 oz. The label even says this. I open the mold and its got 4 1/4 oz. and 3 1/8 oz. What the heck! Anybody have any new molds like this? [/font]

Fatman

Here's the page from Do-It on the  [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]jrs-7-48 -  The picture of the mold when you zoom in shows 4 - 1/4oz and 3- 1/8th oz.  Barlows may have swapped the weight around on number of jigs.  [/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]http://store.do-itmolds.com/Round-Head-Jig-HHbrSz-18-14brHk-630-or-635brCollar-Barb_p_486.html[/font]

Here's the page from Do-It on the [size=small][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]jme-7-a1 - [/font][/size]
http://store.do-itmolds.com/Minnow-...-14-38brHk-570-or-575brCollar-Barb_p_555.html

The pics of the molds when you zoom in both show eye slots for the hook eyelet.  Put hooks in the mold and if the slots are right the mold will close tight with the hooks in it.  

Fatman

Here's the page from Do-It on the  [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]jrs-7-48 -  The picture of the mold when you zoom in shows 4 - 1/4oz and 3- 1/8th oz.  Barlows may have swapped the weight around on number of jigs.  [/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]http://store.do-itmolds.com/Round-Head-Jig-HHbrSz-18-14brHk-630-or-635brCollar-Barb_p_486.html[/font]

Here's the page from Do-It on the [size=small][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]jme-7-a1 - [/font][/size]
http://store.do-itmolds.com/Minnow-...-14-38brHk-570-or-575brCollar-Barb_p_555.html

The pics of the molds when you zoom in both show eye slots for the hook eyelet.  Put hooks in the mold and if the slots are right the mold will close tight with the hooks in it.  

duffy

I just got the JME-7-A1 about 2 weeks ago and it works fine. There's no post where the eye goes, just an open cut out but the hooks don't move around at all. I haven't poured allot but so far they are coming out ok with the hooks centered and straight. I also have lil Mac's and Hilts and that's all they have are a cutout for the eye and have never had a problem. I'm using the lil nasties too.

slammingjack

Hey Fatman I see the mold you sent has the same model number, but they are there not the same mold the one on the do-it site has a barb and a ring. Mine only has a barb. Guess mine is the older one.

Fatman

Wondered where the word post came from as every one of my Do-It's have just the round ring shape for the eyelet.

Went and looked and you're right!!! Wonder if Barlows has old models sitting around??

Hawnjigs

KISS
Do-it hook eye cavity center posts in my experience are only used in some large hook eye heavy wire models. Don't recall that feature in any light wire molds like the Minnow Head. I've never had lead bleed into hook eyes or floppy eye cavities unless attempting to fit undersize hooks.

Do-it should have given the new JRS ring barb mold a different model # from the older spike barb version. Mold vendors will probably be dumping the older models first which is why Barlows only pictures the original spike barb JRS jig head.

slammingjack

Yeah that's why I had a fit. The 1/8 calls for #1 hook, I was hoping to use a #2 hook. I guess it will still work, but I might get more bad pours without the post. I guess i'm still a newbie hehe .

Hawnjigs

KISS
If theres too much vert play of a smaller hook eye in a slot, I've used a tiny dab of gasket goo to tighten fit, but I don't recommend this messier than expected material. Maybe some else has a better solution?

Fin and Fur

High temp silicone? Should just peal off after cured hot mold would cure it pretty quick I would this. Or maybe modeling clay

slammingjack

Poured these two molds over the weekend. They poured good. When using a size smaller hook then they say to use, I did have a few that got lead in the hook eye. 3 out out of about 80 isn't that bad. So i'm happy now.

Back