Official Sign Up For Ice Lure SWAP

papaperch

On the left is my redeye spoon tip with head of minnow or whole live small minnow. Deadly on yellow perch. Center is just a duck flank jig at 1/64 oz good for most anything. On the right is my beaded pin min.
Pink on one side silvery on the other. Also works on most anything but especially gills of all types. Want to tip this with grub or Berkley gulp or power bait,

Above is what I am going to commit to the swap. Each swap participant will receive one of each of these three different lures. I am going to limit this first time trial swap to 6 makers. If you do all jigs make sure they are no bigger than 1/32 oz.

Sign up will until the end of September. Might take that long for everyone to see this time of year. Lures will be shipped to get here by Oct 31. So that will give everyone plenty of time.

I ask for all participants to include set for themselves to simplify sorting process at end of swap. I am dumb enough already don't want to burn any brain cells.

1. Papaperch---- done and here
2. Bucko ----- dropped out due to theft and vandalism of his shop.
3. Attica------- done and here
4.Quivirakid ----done and here
5. Jungle Jim---- done and here
6. AndyLane

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I only need to make one rig, correct? Planning to make up a spoon dropper w/ a good buggy tie on the drop hook. May need a waxie attached. It killed the teeny weenie perch last year the one time out of three i got out and walked on water bigger than my 1/3 acre pond. I feel it will pick off the better fish this year.

Here is to a good ice over in Ohio. :beer:

JUNGLEJIM1

I haven't been in a swap for awhile and have an idea for a little 1/64 chub that's been catching gills and nice redear. Sign me up, looks like plenty of time to tie a few before Halloween.

papaperch

Ok only need one more. In case Attica wasn't kidding. Each maker will turn in 3 sets of six lures. You can make whatever you want long as its SMALL.

For instance JungleJim said he was thinking about 1/64 chub. If he wanted to he could make all 1/64 oz chubs but say 6 white , 6 green and 6 chartreuse.

They can be all same lure but different colors or 3 completely different lures. I realize not everybody is set up to make their own pin min and such. Thats why

I am not stipulating as to the type. Is that all as clear as mud or what ?

JUNGLEJIM1

I can do three sets of six, no problem. Just finished the first set. Going to do three sets of chubs, one 1/32 and two 1/64 in different colors and hook sizes.

papaperch

Sounds great Jim. I even changed my mind on what I was going to do. I was going to include a duck flank jig. But I got to thinking not everyone on here can make pin mins and spoon lures. So I decided to make a different shape and size pin min for my third set.

If we get good ice this year I am going to try everything that is sent to me in the swap. I actually think I like the experimenting almost as much as the actual fishing.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Have mine painted........ one set of spoons for droppers and some tiny jigs. All should be pretty simple ties so hopefully not take too much time once i get them in the vise.

quivira kid

I am thinking a 1/32 or 1/64 jig and two fly droppers.... I am really curious to try some bead head simple flies as droppers off my bigger normal jigs. Anything small and different at the dock I typically fish (high pressure, "educated" fish) generally get eaten. I am also thinking these droppers would be fun under a bigger jig used with a slip bobber. Winter time is a fun time to experiment!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty well hooked (pun intended) on the spoon droppers for both perch and bluegill. Thump the bottom with the spoon and they seem to really get attention and marks start rising up off the bottom line of the flasher.

Mine will be 1/8oz. casting spoons with 1/64 (leadfree) LedHed knockoff auto style jig dropper. Shhhhhh...... don't tell Led. :p Gonna be a spendy little rig but sure don't seem to loose near as many jigs/rigs through the ice as in open water. Have a bunch of these casting spoon droppers made up and wanted to get out in my kayak to try them vertical below my flasher, but have yet to find the right weekend to sneak out.

Other ties will be small and simple jigs - probably kip or maybe hackle.

papaperch

AF- thru the ice don't rule out the smaller spoons. Especially when the fish get ho-hum under the ice. When faced with a negative bite I usually go smaller in presentation. Almost always going smaller works. Usually can tell by flasher if you get some lookers and no takers go smaller. Been looking for a reservoir or lake about 1/2 way twixt us. Sometime a day or two on the ice with an older ice walker helps the learning curve. Only trouble is us older guys walk slower.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I picked up the 1/8 casting style spoons at Jann's......... they are 1.375" but are the teardrop shape. They were the smallest and cheapest i could find in blanks that i could powder paint. I actually found these MasterCast Spoons which are closer to the shape i'd like but about 3X as costly. Looks like knock-offs of the KastMaster spoons.

Any suggestions where to get short and slender spoons that are blanks (silver or gold) so i can add my artsy fartsy paint jobs to? Considered using spinner blades but have found i do like the weight of a spoon.

Hear talk of Wellington a lot on the OGF Hardwater board. May be a few minutes closer to me but pretty central to both of us. I would love to get someone with more knowledge than me out on Willard...... that reservoir leaves me scratching my head every time. :skunked:

Bucko

im sorry but I will not make this one either. I havent yet had an opportunity to replace my tying materials from the break in. hope this doesnt make anyone upset.

Back