October Bronze

New River Rat

I LOVE hunting season!!!! This is from a couple weeks back. Just hadn't been on the site lately. My New has been blown out a lot this year, so I had to jump all over the place to find suitable water. I have caught a good share of 20" smallies, plus 6 muckin' fuskies on bass tackle. Good gawd, the New is over ran with these slimy stunted bastages.....I hate 'em!

I've been at this smallie chasing a L-O-N-G time now, and I still get pumped at the thought of hitting the river. Today was no different, as I caught myself leaning forward while driving, I guess to get there quicker. I had every intention of hitting a new.old place with the 4wheeldrive, but I thought about the saying "why leave fish to find fish?" Today was a carbon copy of Tuesday, as far as the weather goes. Sunny one minute, cloudy the next, then sunny, then dark,moist looking clouds. NO wind either day.

Managed a couple of dozen today, and thankfully the bulk of them were over 14". No walleye, no redeye, no 'gills, but mostly no muckin fuskie. Did I mention I hate 'em?

Anyways, I dodged black walnuts as they surrendered their grip and let gravity take over, a constant chorus of splashing. I caught fish on wacky Magic Stiks, Salty Sinkin Shad and Pointer 78 in crack pattern,

This guy hit a wacky-rigged Magic Stik. I would have bet $100 this was just shy of 20" looking at him fight. But after laying him on the rule, it was a 20" on the money.And he fought like smallies do in the fall. They are BAD ASS! I wouldn't trade this fight for a 40" muskie if I were paid.

Oct4201320in004.jpg

And this yahoo kept me company for a pretty good while. I think he was leaning new techniques.....

Oct4201320in006.jpg

toadfrog

I know one thing I can go anytime without meeting that feller in the last pic . Hope you had a shot gun and spread snake do-do all over the place . That fish is awful dark looking . Heck they all count one long as they ain't asian carp . Don't need tackle to get them in the boat .

StumpHunter

Man I would love to find some water around here with small mouths like that! Enjoyed your report and pics, congrats on the catch.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Gorgeous sleek and healthy smallie. But, that snakie is the star with head high and wound up. I imagine on a dark choppy day they would be harder to see. I assume its a cotton, never seen one and don't intend to. My wife likes the reflection of the sky & clouds.

JUNGLEJIM1

Really nice smallie, I haven't caught one that size in a several years. Never caught a musky before, would like to catch one though, not to many places have them around here.

New River Rat

I'm blessed to have the New River as my retreat. Fishing it in 2013 has been tough due to the rains. As for the snake, it is a harmless Black Rat Snake. I realized as it swam away it was a pretty large specimen. Thick and 5'+.

New River Rat

Not worthy of a new thread, but a footnote here, maybe. I went back to this spot. Horrible day weather-wise. Clouds, wind about 25mph. Enough chop on the surface to prevent me from seeing my "obstacles" I needed to avoid with the trolling motor.

Caught 5, none measured, but the smallest would go roughly 15". Biggest two about 18". I caught them on a LC Pointer 110, nothing else. The ONLY reason I caught them was due to very sharp hooks. I went about 2.5 hours with nothing to show but aggravation for the wind. The first fish showed itself by leaping with the plug, as I didn't even know it was there. That much bow in my line. Glad I went now.

Back