Oct/Nov In-Fish

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
The current In-Fisherman issue has a decent article about using hair jigs for smallmouth, that for me, was worth getting the issue. They show off some good looking patterns - one or two i have seen (and copied) already in the past. :D Kind of comical that they have 5 different companies listed that create the jigs, but only 3 of them actually can be found on the internet. One even has a website listed that does not exist. :rolleyes: Oopsie in their research dept.

Anyway, thought i would post the sites that are actually there:

http://www.jensenjigs.com/

http://www.hillbrandtackle.com/

http://www.andyscustombasslures.com/

Always fun to browse through other sites and look for inspiration.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
The Hillbrand site has some very cool ideas and patterns. Their sculpins look excellent and some other creative ties.

One of the other jigs shown in the magazine issue is a dead ringer for the tailgunners we have been doing here for some time - bumped up in size. That is one of the sites that can't be found on the net........... makes one wonder which came first, the chicken or the egg? :) I don't care though - i'm not a vegetarian and enjoy both.

smalljaw

Thank you for those sites, and now I'm going to say something that isn't going to sound nice but I don't mean it quite the way it will sound so keep that in mind. The Hill Brand Tackle jigs are very nice, well tied creations, I admire those, The Jensen jigs are big and are nicely tied but can someone tell me why the Andy's jigs are so sought after?? I am not dissing them even though it sounds like it, I'm just not articulate with putting what I think into the right words. What I'm saying is every one on this site who ties a jig makes jigs that I consider some of the best example of tying a jig. The jigs on that site are ok and there is nothing wrong but from all the hype, and believe me, in the bass world of hair jigs most have heard of these jigs, I don't see what is so special. I don't include myself when I say that the jigs I see here are incredible, maybe it is just me and my eyes aren't great but if I saw pictures of those with no name attached I'd say they are nice average hair jigs, nothing more, sorry for that, I hate sounding condescending but if they wanted to see hair jigs that work and look great they needed to come here and look and fish the creations the everyone here makes, you guys put a lot of work into your stuff and it shows, I may be a little biased but I think you guys do better work.

eyecrosser

SJ, I think the reason the Andy's jigs are so popular is only because he is out there selling them. Many of us tie for ourselves, our friends and our own satisfaction/gratification. I agree that many of the best tyers I have seen are right here on this site. I have sold a few of my jigs to locals or friends in the past but I have a regular job plus a family and no time to tie for the masses. I do love the swaps on here though and try to make time for them as I am treated to some quality custom jigs. I love the effort everyone on this site makes not only to tie but to teach along the way.

Back